DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

to pay or not to pay?

Posted by irvine-409430 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

You only pay it if the TV was there on 1st Jan so no need to pay this year.

Next year if you live here full time you'll fill in a tax return so the information will be taken from that and used in calculating your taxe d'hab bill..

You don't need to do anything, there is a system and it will pick up the information when it needs it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by moi-383589 - 3 years ago

Shouldn't be difficult to get your local tax office-where you've been paying the Taxe D'Hab to date-to add the TV cost to your next bill. There's plenty of time before your next bill is issued.

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

Thanks from me also.

Sorry no image available
Posted by irvine-409430 - 3 years ago

Thanks,  this was my original thought. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by irvine-409430 - 3 years ago

Hi,  what we did originally was to state that we didn't have t.v.  (we only came over from time to time to do work) so the price for 'audiovisuelle' was taken off our bill.  but now we are moving over we will have to get it reinstated - which I am finding a bit akward - but will have to persevere.  good luck to you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by evenevenmoreantibs - 3 years ago

Sophie,

Read from the link I gave to the UK TV licensing authority above, you are wrong on almost every count for the UK.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sophie hunton - 3 years ago

As in the UK ,a licence is required for any equipment which is capable of receiving a terrestrial broadcast signal,anything with a tuner ,for satellite broadcasts you only need a monitor it does not need to have a built in tuner.at one time in the UK you could buy a TV with no tuner and just watch videos ,it was the same here ,you can watch TV over the internet on a computer monitor but if you buy a plug in TV tuner for the computer then you should have a licence.

Sorry no image available
Posted by evenevenmoreantibs - 3 years ago

one4all, that was the case, now from http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/how-to-tell-us-you-dont-watch-tv-top12

'If you don't watch TV at all, or you only ever watch on demand or catch-up TV, you can tell us you don't need a TV Licence'

Sorry no image available
Posted by moi-383589 - 3 years ago

With your Taxe D'Habitation bill it will include the TV fee- 'la redevance audiovisuelle' and there will be a form.You only inform them if you 'don't' have a TV. It's included automatically and you just pay the bill without doing anything extra (if you do have a TV).Second home ownership.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Hi breadhead, it's invoiced on the same bill as the taxe d'habitation. If you moved in after Jan 1st you won't need to pay this for a year and a bit as the previous owner will have paid the bill for 2015. You'll get your bill for 2016 in Sept/Oct/Nov or whenever, and it has to be paid in full by the deadline which is usually about a month after receiving the bill.

You may get a form to fill in earlier in the year to state whether you have a TV or not, I'm not sure how it works for holiday homes. French taxpayers have to tick a box on their tax return if they don't have a TV.

one4all, I thought the law in the UK used to be worded so that it was watching or recording TV progammes without a licence that was the offence, as opposed to owning a TV set without a licence as in France. Hence the detector vans - they had to catch you in the act. But maybe it's changed.