DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

UK car insurance using French no claims

Posted by frizby-400559 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Birdman4 - 4 years ago

Hi, we had this same problem ie I'll health. We had a prof of bonus from french credit mutuel insurance, & L V gave us our 60% no claims. Liverpool Victoria  cheers good luck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by frizby-400559 - 4 years ago

Thank you to all who posted to my enquiry i have registered with Adrian Flux 100 € more than others plus additional cost for monthly premium payments but sorted .

Hope this posting might have helped others on a similar situation.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dapa-408374 - 4 years ago

Ask your the local representative of your insurer (we were with AXA) to write you a brief letter in English to present to the English insurance company.  It worked for us.

Sorry no image available
Posted by one4all-436374 - 4 years ago

I can also recommend brokers A-Plan Salisbury, as I used them when I returned to the UK. They require a certified translation of your no claims which cost about 35 euros but that is a small sum to pay compared to starting from scratch with no reduction at all.

I have also heard that NFU insurance will honour non UK earned ncbs.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 4 years ago

My own experience on using French NCD to insure in the UK was that despite more than 10 years NCD (UK + France) , only 5 years is the maximum applied in France. So with UK companies now offering up to 9 years, you lose some discount, unless you hang on to all the earlier documentation to prove continuous discount earned over the entire period.  Sadly, I didn't think to keep the old documents whilst living in France, so I could only supply proof of my 5 years recorded on the French renewal and earn the rest subsequently ( and I couldn't recall who my earlier UK insurer was).

Sorry no image available
Posted by Magnolia-429945 - 4 years ago

I have recommended this company a few times on AngloInfo and hope it's useful to someone! Please ring A-Plan Insurance in Salisbury, phone number 01722 820530. (They have other branches but it's only the Salisbury who will be able to help). The people there are extremely helpful and may be able to sort something out for you - they insured our cars with French No Claims.

Sorry no image available
Posted by clarksinfrance - 4 years ago

When I returned to UK, I tried several insurers, and all would take French NCD document, as long as it was officially translated into English, but my French insurer (AXA) provided me with an English version stating NCD. The problem, was getting insurance with the vehicle on French plates, for that I used Direct Line who initially insured using the VIN, they also accepted the NCD document, without quibble.

Sorry no image available

Having discussed that with my french agent my vehicle is not being used and to adhere to french requirements I would have that vehicle garaged and insured third party only,  So releasing my no claims bonus for use on the Uk vehicle.

Following earlier replies I have looked at the Adrian Flux web site and that looks promising will ring them.tomorrow and I have also as suggested emailed the CEO of AXA  Uk asking his advice on the matter.

Thank you

Sorry no image available
Posted by LRV24 - 4 years ago

One problem that you will encounter with British insurance companies is that, if your car is still insured in France, your NCD is already being used. 

Sorry no image available

I have translated proof of no claims bonus and after trying  Age Uk who were very helpfull until the last step when the lady checked with the company who then said they would not be able to insure me which left us both stumped, and when I asked AXA UK they said I needed to be resident for three years before they could accept me and another company  said two years residency was necessary.

I will try the companies that you have suggested and see how it goes. Thank you