DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

UK State Pension paid by French

Posted by mikec-403539 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by dabbityduck-384379 - 3 years ago

A word of warning here; when I went to start the claiming of my french pension, they wanted proof that I had worked in the U K. There is, apparently, only one form that the French recognise, and you have to get it from DWP in England. The name/number escapes me at the moment.

You also have to provide a list of EVERY job you had in the U.K. Also your birth certificate, your wife's birth certificate, your childrens' birth certificates (the more children you have, the higher your French pension!). Divorce certificate where appropriate.

I did offer my first-born as hostage, but they said I was being ridiculous...

Sorry no image available
Posted by mikec-403539 - 3 years ago

I have just spoken to DWP International Pensions. They say it is up to you how you wish to claim. You can either claim through the French or send the forms back to UK. She suggested the latter as they will liase with the French authorities as this is a faster way and even if the French do not respond that fast it will not hold up the payment of pension on due date. I will now get paper filling!!!

Thanks to those who responded with information

Sorry no image available
Posted by one4all-436374 - 3 years ago

I initially discussed my impending retirement/pension with my local CARSAT office in Vannes, all documentation was sent to the main CARSAT office Rennes at the appropriate time, 3 months before my 65 birthday if I remember correctly.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervéor - 3 years ago

You ask for a RDV with your french provider  4 months before your retirement date ,take everything along as I am sure you know and they should handle everything .

Sorry no image available
Posted by mikec-403539 - 3 years ago

Thanks one 4all. When you say French finallydealt with the dossier did you go through them or just send the forms back direct?

Sorry no image available
Posted by one4all-436374 - 3 years ago

I received my pension on or around the scheduled date, no problems at all. As the DWP clearly states if you live and have worked in France then your dossier is finally dealt with the French authorities, albei you will receive a UK pension and a French one. They can be paid into which ever bank you like. The advantage of having your UK pension paid in euros direct  into your French bank account is that with the millions of £s/€s dealt with you will get a good exchange rate.

Posted by Joyce - 3 years ago

Strictly speaking if you've worked in France and paid into their social contribution system then you should apply for your UK State pension via your French system.  However, there have been postings on various AI forums that to do so is not satisfactory as it can take a long, long time for the French authorities to submit all the relevant paperwork to the DWP, UK.  In your situation I would perhaps not mention any association with the French system and just claim your UK State pension direct from the UK?

Sorry no image available
Posted by buster-784461 - 3 years ago

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/retire-abroad/state-pensions-abroad/index_en.htm

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervéor - 3 years ago

technically you should go through the french as you have worked here last .

Sorry no image available
Posted by dabbityduck-384379 - 3 years ago

Hi Mike

I too worked in France (mainly as an interim), and have a French pension.

My UK state pension is paid direct to the same French Bank Account, and ne'er the twain has met. Dunno if it's different for an autoentrepreneur.

I would pursue my British pension through DWP.

Bon courage