DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Very small tax return question - foreign bank accounts form 3916

Posted by Yasminh14 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by kathyd2 - 3 years ago

I think they're more interested in accounts you DON'T declare, then they can fine you even if the account is empty! I think the worst that could happen is that they'll come back to you and ask you to find out the correct date - which you won't be able to do of course from prison or without a head ;).

Just out of interest, how are you managing to declare 12 accounts online? I thought you could only declare 10, and if you have more you have to submit your tax return on paper? Have they changed it this year?  I do hope so!

Sorry no image available
Posted by buster-784461 - 3 years ago

I think they will use the guillotine!! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by jamesmb - 3 years ago

Oh! Was I meant to say when they were opened?! I gave my tax office a list - at first they said they didn't want it but then I pointed to the relevant bit on the form and they made a call and reluctantly took it. Doesn't have dates on it though. Will I get banged up and put on a prison island like in Papillon?

Sorry no image available
Posted by tinabee - 3 years ago

I have some that are declared as opened "avant 1980" as I have no recollection of the date or year! No problems with this in 9 years.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Huey-407259 - 3 years ago

In my case the account has been taken over 4 times.

NatWest, who am now with did not even exist when I started work!!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yasminh14 - 3 years ago

I'm sure they can itwasn't me, but I am not really inclined to try and phone up about 12 separate accounts (some mine, some my husband's, some joint in several different banks).  It's difficult enough to even find a proper landline number to call from outside the UK.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Itwasntme-998041 - 3 years ago

We'll surely the bank you have the account with can tell you the date you opened the account.

Posted by Joyce - 3 years ago

Yes, that's all I did, just put an approximate date.  I don't think the tax authorities are going to pull you up about an historic date of an account.