DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

What do people do for work here?

Posted by scatterbox - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 4 years ago

This is a very difficult situation others have provided good information. Many opportunities, and scams, are on the internet - People Per Hour for example where people may appreciate your French/English language skills. That has the benefit of being able to work from home assuming you have a good internet connection. In relation to this NEVER prepay for any employment option.

Besides this I'm aware of some people who; "blog for a living" - basically translating and publishing on line, write - both fiction and non fiction. Some others uses their hobies such as photography to sell images on line.

Another option depending on your sitation could be AirBnB, also online where you undertake informal B&B. In each case it is worth getting some advise on the employment/tax position in France. Also be sure you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to. Bon chance.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 4 years ago

Unemployment is much higher in France than the UK and French companies nearly always give preferential treatment to French nationals, unless you have a skill set  with French or EU recognised documented qualifications that other applicants don't have, but the job requires them. Other advice offered is good. Unskilled jobs are often filled by friends of friends, relatives etc, so don't always reach the agencies.

Sorry no image available
Posted by scatterbox - 4 years ago

Thank you to both the last posting. Just been on indeed.fr and found a job for a waitress local, so will drop my cv off tom. While I am there I will go into manpower.

Sorry no image available
Posted by cactus07 - 4 years ago

hello register with manpower boscher volaille at mur de bretange will take you if you are really struggling and want to work the shifts are 6-2 and 2-930 monday to friday it's very cold but it's a job

regards

cactus07

Sorry no image available
Posted by ScarboroughWhites-442058 - 4 years ago

Have you tried - www.indeed.fr

Sorry no image available
Posted by cactus07 - 4 years ago

hello if it helps register with manpower addeco ranstad and fleshe they are all interim agencies you will have to explain that you are prepared too do anything including factory work because in france they only put you forward for jobs you have been trained for unless you tell them you will do anything and then you have to ring them everyday to pester them for a job once they have given you a job they will use you again i know it's hard but keep at it i know i'm never going back to the uk not unless it's in a box 

good luck

cactus07

Sorry no image available
Posted by pony1 - 4 years ago

Depends what you are prepared to do!  I used to work in an office in the UK but I now clean houses!  I get €10 hour which is pretty good.  I put adverts up in my local supermarket.  I am paid cheque emploi.

Sorry no image available
Posted by PamandAndrew-390752 - 4 years ago

I think you should mention where you are, you never know who may be reading your post and needing help...it doesn't hurt to advertise your skills! It may be a route you don't want to take but there are probably several small English run businesses that could use your experience, but only for a few hours a week...maybe think of becoming self employed. A few hours a week or month could easily lead to more if you can help build a business and there are opportunities out there to do this...

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 4 years ago

Presumably you are signed on at Pôle Emploi.  They may be able to help with training to enable you to get work more easily.  I'm thinking about 'services à la personne', because we often hear that there are opportunities in that branch.  A friend did a training course for that (she was taught how to clean!!) and since has been going around helping old and handicapped people, working for a 'services à la personne' agency.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Azur Models-658123 - 4 years ago

You might have to move departments if you do not want to move back to the UK. Or maybe make your area where you are looking bigger.

Good luck