DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

What if no funds ?

Posted by skydiver-437154 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Linsolom - 3 years ago

The reason that we all need mains water and up to date sewerage control is long term health.

It was alright to draw water from your own well and to use your old soak away fosse 50 years ago.

But in today's world  of medication, Prozac, Birth control pill and every other of the 15,000 or so forms of medication prescribed today can't be allowed to enter the water table.

Farmers rely on the water table to irrigate the land and to water there animals.

If you do use well water have a sample tested it could save you a host of potential problems

in the future.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mightymimi-923305 - 3 years ago

Some properties are remote as ours is.  No inspector ever came here.

We had a micro station put in because we didn't like the smell of the waste water going into the ditch. (Our property is isolated and goes downhill) We started by contacting the SPANC, the rep came, 10 minutes later the "tests" were done, we had the OK, he helped us quite a bit, took charge and contacted the mairie, he even gave a list of entrepreneurs to the microstation rep.  Our only rough spot was the installer (entrepreneur) who was 2 months late.  All together it costs 7300 Euros.

I put 'tests' in brackets because he just looks around and taps his foot on the ground.  Voila.

Mimi

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

One property I am in the process of renovating has to have a sand filter based system, after twenty five years the sand has to be removed then go through a washing process and then put back in the hole, it seems the best long term solution is a micro station or some form of micro bio digester, the village next to me has a reed based system which seems to be working OK yet when I spoke to spanc about this type of system they told me they didn't like to approve them because the reeds all died in the winter and they could also freeze up, so I spoke to a chap from the village next to me about this and he said if there's a problem then the sewage is pumped straight into the adjacent stream, I wonder if that bit was approved by spanc?.

Sorry no image available
Posted by skydiver-437154 - 3 years ago

BRILLIANT  answers to the thread i started on here.  nice polite sensible debates...thank you.   further info i have obtained......be ready for it.............MY INSTALLER of the fosse states,   of course in a year or two you could find yourself having to improve on the installation by a law change ?????   WHAT sort of an existance is this ??.........i am having my fosse installed simply because it makes my property more saleable.....and NOT right to drop the new buyers in it.  pardon the pun.     ...was also informed if you get to the notaires office he will indicate the amount of a fosse installion off of your asking price........and yes ,  i ,m out of here.      kind regards.

Sorry no image available

If you need to replace your fosse then first off get a soil test done, then submit it too spanc for approval, then once approved get the work done, then before covering in the new installation get spanc back too inspect and certificate it. This way you should not encounter any problems.

Sorry no image available
Posted by plouyepaul - 3 years ago

There is only one rule in France as in several other European countries: 'Do what you like as long as it does not impinge on anyone elses enjoyment of life - until someone tells you to stop'.

That said, the whole fosse septique situation is beyond ridiculous. Our inspesction in 2012 resulted in a non-conforming fosse. Being on a steep incline the only real solution for a completely new fosse would be to pump sewage a long way around a building where it could eventually reach a drainage field, or fit a system that did not require a drainage field. There were precious few systems which complied with french normes although today there are many more. The overriding problem on our site is the amount of rock, it's unlikely that a suitable new location could be found.

My question to those who feel lucky enough to have afforded a new installation, many of which now no longer conform due to more recent changes in legislation may well find themsleves further out of pocket when they eventually come to sell. The new owners have 12 months to upgrade and conform, the likelihood is that this will not be enforced and could well be overlooked indefinitely but a reduction in price will almost certainly be sought.

We are selling our property and will give a healthy discount to whoever buys in order to allow them to upgrade, however the cost of making the system comply could range for 5 - 15k€ depending upon their choice of system. Personally I do not intend to do this work myself as our system works fine, does not smell and has never been a problem in the 15 years we have lived here.

I suppose in a very round about way I am saying use some common sense - forget the rules in this instance because there are too many variables and simply do what you feel is right for you.

With regard to professionals, I know sveral people who have paid large sums to a 'professional' only to find that the system is never certificated, still has problems or as in one case was worse than before. If you are considering an upgrade to your fosse it may well pay to ask the commune to do the work, normally it is a substantially cheaper because they have the equipment already and know the terrain better than an out of town company. Of course there are good professionals out there - somewhere.

In our next house we will be having dry toilets and absolutely no fosse septique, job sorted!

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 3 years ago

I like that " might  possibly " sounds like a politicians answer.have a happy New Year don't worry too much if your fosse conforms or not,by the 2nd and 3rd glass you will be past caring.sabc15.

Sorry no image available

Probably not to you but others might possibly find it offensive

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 3 years ago

Excuse me geegee42, are you suggesting my poo stinks.sabc15.

Sorry no image available

They do indeed suck but with water, a few years ago the state gave everyone the option to have a mains water supply put in at a nominal fee, for reasons known only to themselves some people decided to decline this offer and now can not really moan about lack of mains water, the regs regarding septic tanks are a European directive not some new French law, its understandable really that one should be expected to dispose of ones excrement without causing offence to others or the environment, after all typhoid apparently is not very nice.