DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Winter Fuel Allowance

Posted by Steve51-907091 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by tigre-979768 - 3 years ago

Yes geegee42 a complaint has been put in to the European Parliament, but it seems they are struggling to overturn this decision because of the loophole the UK Government has found regarding the Outre-Mer territories of France being still under administration rule of the mainland. I'm not sure about Spain etc. Very devious and unfair considering a lot of UK expats still pay tax in the UK, not that this should make a difference. I'm actually a permanent resident in the UK, but I think it's disgusting the way this has been handled.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Is France the only country in Europe where the WFA has been cut or has it applied to Spain /Malta/cypress as well ,is there no appeal lodged with the European parliament as I would have thought it has effected a reasonable amount of people, Tories have a tendency to nibble and when complaints die off they nibble a bit more,they also tend to nibble away at sections who have little clout,so expect other changes its inevitable.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tigre-979768 - 3 years ago

I don't think anyone is really arguing that expats are not getting it, the point really being discussed is how the UK Government have worked out who does and does not get it, according to them it seems that the residents of mainland France  bask in a tropical climate during the Winter months, unlike Italy that don't and UK expats living there are still entitled to it.  I really thought the European Union was formed so a lot of it's residents where treated equally and fairly among other things.   

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Next argument will be global warming causing temperature to rise so no one gets winter fuel allowance, does such a thing exist in France? Is it a benefit we could possibly claim over here?

Sorry no image available
Posted by jaykay-10041854 - 3 years ago

If you get state pension you are entitled to it automatically see https://www.gov.uk/christmas-bonus/overview

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 3 years ago

I don't think I have ever received £10 christmas bonus.sabc15.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jaykay-10041854 - 3 years ago

One thing that could be stopped is the £10 'christmas bonus' payment nobody mentions that. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

The WFA is clearly a very divisive subject, especially when one probes the methodology to qualify payment - and, as said, it is paid automatically to rich and poor alike with no means testing. So, let's look at the reasoning behind its introduction. It was designed to help people with their heating costs, when it was considered cold enough to justify giving it out. However, the ability of people to pay for their heating costs depends on so many factors - a colder than average winter being just one, incomes are another, the size of house and how well insulated it is, are other factors and so is the choice of fuel. In the UK (where the WFA was designed to apply) natural gas for heating is very widely available and is very much less to run than elctricity and even oil. So, the government of the day introduces a one-size-fits-all allowance and because it is not means tested, it is cheap to administer, but because of that, it is poorly targetted. It will be a brave government that seeks to abolish it. Public outcry would be likely, but in reallity, it was a poorly conceived scheme that went off course to a large extent. If global warming is increasing at the rate we are led to believe, then the conditions for WFA might diminish and it will probably "wither on the vine" .

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

People, please! As a non means tested benefit in the UK thant many rich pensioners on states plus very high personal pensions do not need it - they have enough money already. Yes we may have paid in but how many times has government robbed its people of something they paid for from free university education to prescription charges. 

Previous UK governments of all persuasions drove the country into a financial hole through their incompetence. Consider yourself lucky to live in France and enjoy. Imagine how you would feel with the sky high fuel prices, crowded roads, expensive food,  crowded NHS hospitals and only being able to be sick by appointment - GPs surgeries giving appointments a week in advance!

The WFA is ai small sum. and sadly it you live overseas you wont get it!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Karen-381938 - 3 years ago

Just to go back to a comment about increase in retirement age, it has gone up for men as well as women, it just depends on your birthdate as to whether you will be affected by the rise.