DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Working for a UK company but living in France

Posted by Frazipan - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Frazipan - 3 years ago

Thank you for your replies.  I was not asking for myself as I already live here but was asking for a potential buyer of my house.  Will pass this information on to him.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

countrydweller is absolutely correct, if you actually carry out the work in the UK you should be eligible for an S1. Everything depends on the situation and frankly your post doesn't give anywhere near enough info for anybody to advise you properly.

Sorry no image available

PS if you try the AE route, be aware that technically you need an intracommunity VAT number and you have to make monthly declarations to the VAT man even though you don't pay VAT. But the only way this would likely be an issue is if you get a contrôle, and if you get a contrôle and they find that you're getting a regular wage from one employer, then the fact that you're not reporting income from clients in other EU states will be the least of your worries.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

I live in France and do casual work in the UK about 4 times a year.I checked with the impots here and my employers checked with HMRC.Because of the casual nature they were both happy that I paid tax in the UK but not NI and I paid social charges on the UK employment in France.THis seems to work fine and everyone seems happy.However this is my experience in my particular situation.I qualified for a carte vitale because my wife and I have occupational pensions that exceed the threshold of €9601.A lot is going to depend on your particular circumstances.If you are working almost full time as an employee then you may well qualify for a cross border workers S1 which will cover you and your family for the CMU but you will also need a top up mutuelle.Info on cross border working can be found here  www.europa.eu  and searching for cross border commuters.They describe a cross border commuter as someone who lives in one country works in another and commutes daily or at least once a week.You can also get advice from the DWP Overseas Health team on 0044(0)1912181999 who frankly are the best people to speak to.THey will advise you on your eligibility for the S1.You also need to be aware of the taxation situation and the need to declare your earnings in France

Sorry no image available

If it's a permanent move, instigated by you wanting to move to France rather than the company sending you, then the company would have to pay social security contributions for you in France. Not many UK companies will do this because it's hassle and it's expensive.

If your company has sent you here on temporary secondment, they need to apply for a workers S1 so that the NHS continues to cover you.

If neither of the above, what a lot of people who work from home for a UK company do, is register as auto entrepreneur. It is not strictly legal because it is travail dissimulé and if picked up on you would be stopped immediately. Also there's the bank account probem. So cross your fingers you don't get inspected. But you will get a carte vitale.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

This is a very complex issue. General rule is that if you work in France the company you work for need to have "establishment" in France - there are ways around this but they are complex. 

If you work from home in France there are special rules that apply even if you are on UK PAYE. The company you work for may need to engage in this or alternativley if you work in France as a convenience for yourself  eg: Home working - you should check out the situatuon.