DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Working in the UK and living in France

Posted by prepart - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by texas-412739 - 3 years ago

Obviously I don't know what your small business is but we have a small gîte business which is registered as a micro enterprise (location meublée non professionnelle) so we don't pay cotisations on the income as it is non professionelle and not our main source of income - think this only applies to gites though not other businesses though not sure. If either you or your partner pay cotisations in france as I understand it and i have been told your child benefit will have to come from France. Although as I said earlier if you pay Tax and NI in the UK you should be able to get a top up from them. Your NI Contributions would cover your whole family in France so if you started a business just to get into the system it may be worth reassessing. Don't know what happens if the business is in your name and you are paying the cotisations in France and NI in the UK - may be worth looking into whether you have to pay both.....

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

When you say that you will not be bothering with the S1 you do realise that the S1 will be giving you free healthcare (apart from your mutuelle)so you will not be paying your health cotisations to CPAM.You still get to keep your Carte Vitale it is just that the UK picks up the bill.Could be worth looking at the S1 again

Sorry no image available
Posted by prepart - 3 years ago

Thanks everyone - great help, as I was hoping there might be people out there in similar cirumstances. I won't bother with the S1 as we already have  carte vitales and mutuelle, so nothing would change there, so it seems that it is more the child benefit that I need to sort out. We also have a very small business in France so that is why we are already in the system, and have been doing our declaration for the past 6 years, but now main earnings are in the UK. When did life get so complicated?!

Sorry no image available

Also as Karen has said you will have to fill in both a UK and a French tax return although you won't be taxed on your UK earnings by France.

Sorry no image available

Also as Karen has said you will have to fill in both a UK and a French tax return although you won't be taxed on your UK earnings by France.

Sorry no image available

Hi my husband does a similar thing - he spends more time in the UK than here and pays tax and NI there. You need to apply for a workers S1 form from the department of work and pensions.Fill in the application form listing any dependants then send it back to the DWP and in due course you will receive your S1 form. This form should then be taken or sent to CPAM and they will then send you an attestation confirming your rights to health cover in France for you and any dependants. You can then apply for a carte vitale - you may not get it immedately - but you can still get reimbursement from CPAM by filling in and sending off the form the doctor/dentist gives you after an appointment. You will have to get a top up insurance. When you are in the UK you are still covered by the NHS there and if you go on holiday abroad you will have to apply to the UK for an EHIC Card, not France.The way it works is that the French Social Security get reimbursed by the UK social security for any healthcare you have. As far as child benefit goes as long as your wife isn't working or self employed in France you get your Child Benefit from the UK. If your wife starts work or her own business in france she will start paying into the system here so then your children will have to be dependants of her and will have to be covered for healthcare here via the French system. You would then have to notfiy Child benefit in the UK and France and would start to receive your Child benefit from France. However because you pay tax and NI in the UK, should your Child benefit be less paid by France than you would have received in the UK you can get a top up from the UK to their levels.This also works the other way - If the UK Child benefit you receive is less then the French you can get a top up from France. Hope this helps.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Karen-381938 - 3 years ago

Hi

My husband worked for six years in the UK coming home for breaks, while my son and I lived here permanently. We got child benefit, tax credits and health cover from the Uk becuse that is where the social security contributions were made (he was treated as tax resident in the Uk because of the length of time he was there each year.

This was a few years ago so things might have changed now, but check with Newcastle. As has been said, you will still need a mutuelle as the health cover you may be eligible for will still only give you about 2/3's refund as for all French residents but you should be able to get a carte vitale courtesy of the UK

We used to submit a tax return here but his income was taxable in the UK and we just used to complete the pink form to declare the income but not taxed here on it. The local tax office here were very helpful in advising what had to be declared.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

You should be able to get a cross border workers S1.You need to speak to the DWP Overseas Health Team see their website for the phone no.If granted make sure all your family are included but you will still need a mutuelle

Sorry no image available
Posted by prepart - 3 years ago

Thanks, yes we declare taxes every year and I am not technically resident in France as I spend just over half the year in UK (shame!). The rest of the family are permanent though. I have looked into NHS before but can't seem to find how to get the healthcare - whether or not I have to pay first then fill out complicated forms to claim back or just get reimbursed automatically....

Sorry no image available
Posted by seashore-10052757 - 3 years ago

Speak to the NHS. You may be eligible for an S1. Presumably your household fills in a French tax return as they are permanent in France but are you still a UK resident?