DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Any licences required for an Ice Cream Van

Posted by lozrickers - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by 001sugarplum - 4 years ago

You need to get advice from the French - there are plenty doing food from 'retro vehicals' etc.. at festivals and the like. I can't see a big problem if you're prepared to do the paperwork.

Good luck - sounds like a great idea.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fish24 - 4 years ago

Foxie - Thanks for the link - most interesting and clearly explained.

Sorry no image available
Posted by walnut72 - 4 years ago

I'm not sure how easy it would be to register an old ice cream van and where the certificate of conformity would come from if it was not purpose built. that said ice cream vans by their nature are refrigerated so that shouldnt be a problem

Sorry no image available
Posted by Foxie-986308 - 4 years ago

http://www.apce.com/pid599/commercant-ambulant.htmlC=173&espace=1 sets out all the regs that commerçants ambulants have to comply with. 

I think you'll find that the regulations are exactly the same whether you use an old English van or a new French one. It's you and your activity that have to be registered, the vehicle that you use is irrelevant.  So I'm not sure why you feel you need specific advice, the regs are quite clear, I suggest you read them for yourself and then you'll know all the rules for mobile trading in France.

I guess the UK rules have been tightened up then but when I drove an ice-cream van in the UK many years ago, we were never liable to spot checks on the temperature of the product. So I mentioned it, thinking France regs might be tighter than the UK and it might be useful to you. Sorry to have provided information that is no use to you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lozrickers - 4 years ago

You did not reply to my post you only replied with technical which I am more than up to speed with about hygiene and temperatures that is not the request i asked for and of no use to me,

Loz

Sorry no image available

Well its no surprise, In reply to your post ice cream vans are mobile, and do you not think that on red hot summers days even the Lovely french people might not like to try a lovely mister whippy ice cream or children to try a wide choice of ice lollys well I do and i am prepared to give it a try ,

LOZ.

Sorry no image available

Once again please I would like to ask for advice, if any one does know if there is any licences you need to obtain to trade from an old english style mobile ice cream van, Please only reply with correct and precise information as assumptions and you might have to do"s are of no use to me,

Regards,

Loz.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Foxie-986308 - 4 years ago

Even if you only trade for 5 months I suspect you would need to register it as a business in France, because you would need a traders licence and I don't think you would get a traders licence without a siret number. I imagine you personally would need a hygiene certificate and I don't know whether the van would also need some kind of hygiene certificate or not. You would also need to make sure that your ice cream is kept at -18 degrees or lower at all times because that's what the law says, you have to take regular temperature readings and keep a log, and if you get a controle and it's found to be warmer than that you will be fined. And as said, if you sell home made ice cream there are lots of food safety rules to comply with. I assume you're absolutely sure that the van's insurance will cover it being kept and used by you in France for 5 months, and that if necessary you would be able to justify the van's legality to the gendarmes, because the gendarmes go round the markets routinely checking all the traders' papers so they will get to know and your van you very well.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerivon - 4 years ago

There are lots of rules and regulations regarding selling icecream as it is a dairy food, especially if you are making your own. We looked into it and decided it was too complicated and expensive to have all the right equipment to meet the regs...... Sorry. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Euro-Renard - 4 years ago

Unless you can get a "permenant" location, the law states that in-between "sales" you have to move. As there are a limited number of places in each village, mostly taken by the pizza loving french "pizza trucks", you may find it hard. This "movement in-between sales" is why you do not see the "food truck" craze here as you do in the US.

Most boot sales are for 2nd hand items, other peoples junk and you may find it hard to get a place. The ones I have been to that have had food available are for the organizers which are normally schools, non-profits, soccer teams, etc...

Probably your only option is going to be the local market if they have the room for you.