DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

bacon

Posted by suky-98776 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by grannydot-403561 - 4 years ago

I agree salsachia. Suki next time you see them tell them and see what Dawn or Paul say.  You will find we are right.

Sorry no image available
Posted by salsachica - 4 years ago

Have been buying Kerbian farm bacon regularly for the last year and no probs thus far so as others have suggested, possibly a one off issue. I also agree that they are very receptive to feed back. They would rather you told them so that they can put it right than lose custom. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by c2oafc-383379 - 4 years ago

I can personally vouch for DN's Bacon ... Its brilliant ...

Chris

Sorry no image available
Posted by suky-98776 - 4 years ago

Yes

Sorry no image available

Don't worry about mentioning the farm, they take everything on board, we have had an off time from them when it has been a bit salty, but normally OK. maybe you had some of the same batch. Had it been salty again I would have told Paul. But they are friend of ours. Try it agIn, and mention it to them. When you say you buy online, do you mean you just order it online and pick it up at one of the delivery points/markets.?

Sorry no image available

oh dear I didn't want to mention the farm I bought from as I'm well pleased with everything they sell except for the bacon.  It may  just have been that batch but I found it unacceptable so hence my enquiry.  It is Kerbian farm but thank you to everyone for their suggestions.  Much appreciated.

Sorry no image available

suky. Have a look at Kerbian farm web site. They breed their own pigs, butcher them, cure them for bacon.  They do lots of markets, including Sunday ones. Or they have a shop at the farm in plus sillier.  They sell lots of other meat and meat products as well. 

Www.kerbianfarm.com

Sorry no image available

space cadet   - I've bought it but still too salty.  Wish it wasn't as I  like the flavour.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by DN-434538 - 4 years ago

It is very easy to cure your own bacon, you need very little to do it. A large esky or other solid cool box to cure it in, and somewhere cool to hang it after curing.

You should be able to order Pork Belly from the same place you order your meat but Pork Belly is often very cheap in U and curing salt is also  cheap. (It does not need to be special salt, cheapest types of salt are fine) I use soft brown sugar, Bay and Juniper for the aromatics which give it flavour, but you can use what you like, or no flavourings at all. Molasses is popular if you like sweet cure.

It takes about a week to totally cure a pork belly with minimum effort.

There are lots of web sites with instructions. I like the Accidental Smallholder who has very simple clear instructions.

If you cure your own you know there is no added water or odd chemicals.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Space Cadet - 4 years ago

They sell smoked streaky in Lidls. Been eating it for years.