DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Baguettes

Posted by AQ-417490 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by dozygirl-10045474 - 3 years ago

Going back over the years I've seen them resting on bar counters swilling with beer and fag ash, dropped in the street and picked up again, sitting on hole in the wall machines and to top it all, on a urinal!

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

Indeed, AQ, which explains the occasional confusion that can arise when someone asks 'please could you just hold my b(r)aguette for me'.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

You're right sea shore, a bit of paper round the middle is far from adequate protection in that instance. Even worse if the family dog is in situ - any remaining baguette at the end of the journey is unlikely to look very appealing. The teeth marks will be quite obvious, so those parts are best avoided. Perhaps I should stick with the underarm choice - at least the ends are safe to eat and still crunchy. Just have to hope he didn't get caught short on the way home - only one hand free to hold the staff of life.

Sorry no image available
Posted by astoria - 3 years ago

Have you ever tried to place your baguettes in the supermarket trolley? They are only wrapped at one end, so that means one end of the bread is touching ( the often dirty base of the trolley) if you place it long ways.   Or alternately, if you stand it straight up, it rests in the corner, on the wire frame, touching all sides of the top of the baguette.

I'ts at this stage, I decide to eat the crispy excess!    Am i breaking a French law if i have consumed some food without paying for it first?

Sorry no image available
Posted by sea shore - 3 years ago

Personally I'd much rather eat a baguette that had been carried home under someone's arm than one that had been thrown onto the back seat of a car where the family dogs normally sit!

Sorry no image available
Posted by tigre-979768 - 3 years ago

AQ, how awful for you to have to witness such cruelty, I hope you reported the mother for this, baguettes have feelings too!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

It's a shame that these otherwise wholesome baguettes are subjected to all these examples of bad treatment. Only the other day I saw a mother (in a supermarket this time) whack her 9/10 year old lad round the ear with a baguette for mis-behaving. Good for you, I thought, until I saw her put the, now shattered, baguette back on display and take another to the check-out. Perhaps this was a French example of Mothers Pride in action. Whether the replacement survived the journey home (or the son for that matter), I'll never know - but it is very clear that these culinary delights are rather more than just our daily bread.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

I see uncovered baguettes being put in the foot well of dirty cars too! Not to mention the habit of roadside peeing - how many will handle their family baguette before it reaches the table I wonder?!!!

Food for thought!

Bon Appetit!

Sorry no image available
Posted by dabbityduck-384379 - 3 years ago

Cleanliness lowers your resistance to germs.

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

The syndrome of the drooping baguette manifests itself in damp, humid conditions.  Brittany being on the western side of the European continent, those conditions are more prevalent than, for example, in the Alps where humidity which doesn't often go above 25% ensures that baguettes remain straight, rod-like and crusty until they are devoured.