DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Beware Self Service Checkouts!!!

Posted by mavis cruet-909959 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by HarleyRider58 - 3 years ago

What we do now is take a felt-tip pen with us and write the price on every item that doesn't have the price printed on it. That way we can watch every item going thru the scanners (we don't use the self-serve ones; too frustrating). If it doesn't match, we stop the checkout process there and then.... don't give two hoots if people behind us get annoyed, because they would do the same thing if it happened to them!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

This is just the automated system that applies the infamous "Prix Anglais".

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

I always watch them like a hawk! The times I have been overcharged, particularly when items are supposed to be on offer but you end up paying the full price. Another favourite is being charged for duplicate items you don't have. And last week I selected a cheese that had a 50c label to be deducted at checkout but the girl, as always, ignored it. You have to point everything out to them.

I like to think I keep my eye on the ball but I am still overcharged on occasions.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tregadilet - 3 years ago

Yes!

I did some shopping at a similar supermarche at Guingamp St Agathon (The only one which has this facility here). I had a little pile of shopping in trolley (I use the trolley  it to lean on as I am artheritic!) and went to this so called facility and was stopped by a French  computor friend who warned me that  selecting the English version of the system is out of date and not updated, and he was right! an english couple nearby had a bottle of whisky which came up as 35 euros!!! instead of  15.60 Euros!  Having said that I always add up what I have bought on a calculator as I have watched till assistants move an item several times over the "Bar reader" as they thought it may not have recorded. You have to watch them, as they tried to charge me for 5 packets of rice when I had only bought one!

Moral of story check your receipt before you leave the store (Not easy for big shoppers but it is up to you!) The French do!