DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Chicken

Posted by ronsmum - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

It's the never knowing ,the what is,the maybes and the should have but never did that gets us all in the end.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Yes I agree geegee42 - but if your diet were to be restricted to fish and rice, you might be saying to yourself "do I really want to give up so many lovely foods to eke out my life a tiny bit ?"

If one's diet throughout their life were restricted to fish and rice, they may well expect a very small gain in life expectancy. However, having enjoyed a much more varied diet for well over 60 years, switching to such a diet now would bring miniscule gains and I would rather enjoy my life ahead eating what I like, even if during my dying breath I say "I should have gone for the fish".

Sorry no image available

The strange thing is the people who live the longest on this plant eat mainly fish and rice,no chicken.

Sorry no image available
Posted by demonhighwayman - 3 years ago

Great arguments FarmingBrittany & AQ, Bravo !

Like I said I don't want to get into a debate, have a nice day.

Sorry no image available

Absolutely agree, Farmingbrittany. If we all heeded the findings of all the studies on various foods, we would probably starve to death, or at least suffer malnutrition. It's bad enough that so many, publicly funded, studies are used to lecture us on these issues, without being castigated by others who think they have the moral high ground and want to impose their own choices on other people.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yellowperill - 3 years ago

Demonhighwayman

You say  “But people seem to set in there ways and just don't give a damn about the suffering of animals because we somehow believe we are superior to everything else”. Why do you say that, because we eat meat??  So what are all the other meat and fish eating animals then?? Im sure if you keep searching on google you will find more evidence on the perils of eating meat, by the way are you a meat eater??

I am a meat eater red meat white meat pink meat any meat and I eat it because I like it, I do a lot of things I like that many say I should not, I drink alcohol even though according to some it will kill me, I drink coffee even though its allegedly going to give me cancer, I eat eggs sometimes fried sometimes boiled, remember what Edwina Curry said about eggs?? I like vegetables fish and meat, what I don’t like is being told what’s good for me or not, usually by someone that is biased, you know who you are. Like AQ I even like Chicken and leak pie!!  But regardless of how much Id save in a year according to Geegee42 My chicken and leak pie will have loads of chicken I may even cut down on the leaks to fit more chicken in.

My parents my grandparents and as far back as I can see were all meat eaters most of them farmers all lived to a ripe old age, we have no cancer known in the family no heart problems and all to my knowledge died naturally of old age, oh I think we may have had one or 2 catch a cold from time to time, that must be because of the pork chop they ate.

I think Ill have real big fat  steak for my dinner tonight nice and rare, maybe even have a couple slices of liver and a bit of kidney on the side,  and for breakfast Im having Bacon and Eggs. Why? Because I like it.

Sorry no image available

That's a tricky one to answer - our taste buds deteriorate with age, so there are likely to be many foodstuffs that don't taste like they used to. I remember as a young lad in the 1950s, older relatives and their friends saying even then that things didn't taste like they used to and this was long before intensive production had begun. This was when beef was "cheap" and was widely served as the Sunday roast, whereas chicken was expensive and reserved for special occasions.

Perhaps many cooking habits have changed as well. A traditionally roasted chicken has a lot more flavour than a microwaved chicken breast.

Sorry no image available

The big question is does chicken still taste like chicken used to taste,or do you agree that the American bred factory farmed chickens are pretty tasteless.

Sorry no image available

Well geegee42, I love chicken and leek pie - perhaps we can meet (or is that meat?) half-way.

Sorry no image available

Northerners have always been more hardy,which is probably due to meat consumption as during the ice age we chomped on mammoth, then moved on too pigs sheep goats cows and various birds,but it was mostly the wealthy who tended to eat large amounts of meat not so much the poor,but when the northerners went off to war with southerners they always tended to come out on top,during the crusades a Norman mainly meat eating knight was the equel of ten Saracens in fighting prowess,which might have been down to meat or might have been the bread?,but one thing that has come up quite a lot is the big increase in types of cancers since we moved from hunter gathering to farming,chicken fillet at the moment is around eight Euros a kilo,frozen leeks are around ninety cents a kilo ,eat leeks not chicken and look how much you might save over a year.