DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

curcuma

Posted by enthuisiasm - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by mrsoverall - 3 years ago

here goes . . .

Three Fruit Chutney

8oz (225g) dried apricots

2 lb (900g) prepared marrow (see method)

1 oz (25g) salt

2 lb (900g) prepared apple (see method) - could use windfalls

½ oz (15g) mustard seed

1½ lb (700g) sugar

3 oz (75g) chopped crystallised ginger

1 tsp turmeric

2 tsps cornflour

1 tsp chopped garlic

½ tsp cayenne pepper

¾ pt (350ml) malt vinegar

Day 1. Prepare the marrow. Peel, quarter and discard seeds and any pith from centre. Weigh. Cut into small cubes. Layer, in a large bowl, with salt, finish with a layer of salt.  Cover with plate or clingfilm and leave for 24 hours in a cool place.

Place apricots in another bowl, cover with water and soak for 24 hours.

Day 2. Drain the marrow cubes well, no need to rinse. Drain the apricots and chop finely. Peel, core, weigh and chop the apples and place in a preserving pan with the marrow, apricots and a little water.  Cover and simmer until a pulp is obtained.

Add all the other ingredients, bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved, then simmer until the desired consistency is reached.

Pour into warmed jars, cover and label. Ready to eat now, but the flavours will develop if kept a couple of months.

Sorry no image available
Posted by avoican - 3 years ago

I'll give it a whirl MrsOverallagain ..

Sorry no image available
Posted by MrsOverallagain - 3 years ago

Avoican. I suppose it's a matter for individual tastebuds. My husband eats zucchini relish like jam on bread but I prefer 3 fruit chutney with my meals. The recipe uses a lot of marrow and no onions. Would anyone like that recipe?

Sorry no image available
Posted by avoican - 3 years ago

I believe myself to be an established cook having looked after my family for 30 years , I tried the Courgette chutney recipe twice and it was absolutley disgusting , had absolutley nothing to interest me .. Pity really as I have a bulk of courgettes

Sorry no image available
Posted by JLJ-429896 - 3 years ago

Organic curcuma and other spices are available from the BioCoop in Lanester, Lorient.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

You can buy it 'cheap as chips' here so no need to buy it in the UK. It's readily available everywhere.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ivoire-444486 - 3 years ago

Along with other spices/poppodums etc, I buy large bags of turmeric in Asian supermarkets in England and bring over when we visit. Use in most curries...also it has amazing healing properties...check out the Turmeric User Group on Facebook.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dozygirl-10045474 - 3 years ago

We used that recipe for chutney last week and it's absolutely delicious.

Sorry no image available
Posted by enthuisiasm - 3 years ago

Merci, very kind. Our dear Neighbours have given us six large courgettes. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by MrsOverallagain - 3 years ago

This recipe is very popular with everyone who has tried it (lots of sugar?). It came from

www.myhome.id.au/zucchini-pickles 

I've tweeked the spices slightly. I use 3 tsp mustard seed, 1 tsp each fennel & cumin seed, 2 tsp turmeric, 3 tsp curry powder and 2 tsp celery seed. These quantities are for a generous kilo of courgette/onions. I've also halved the amount of sugar!

Enjoy.