DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Double cream

Posted by Jolly joy - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by staffordian - 3 years ago

Lidl sell a bottle of fresh cream,it's 30% and whips and holds well. It's the best I've bought here as it doesn't taste either sour or UHT.Another one is creme liquids. Elle and Vire ,that is 35%.They are both  ok for cakes and trifles.Take a lot longer to thicken than British double cream,which I believe is about 50 odd %

i really miss my proper double cream.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

I buy the 30% one in LIDL for about 45cents a carton. Whips perfectly.

Sorry no image available
Posted by seaspray-397615 - 3 years ago

You can use Mascaponi cheese mixed with pouring cream.  Whip until the thickness you require.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yasminh14 - 3 years ago

Crème fleurette is whipping cream.  It is liquid crème fraiche sold in bottles near the regular crème fraiche.  I've used it loads of times for Victoria sponges etc, it works absolutely fine.  It does have a slightly sour taste, but it's not noticeable in a sweet cake.

You can get 35% or 40% crème fraiche (particularly the real Isigny stuff), but it tends to be pretty solid so is not so good for whipping, but great when you want a dollop of thick cream on a dessert.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerguen - 3 years ago

Marscapone cheese mixed with single cream gives good whipped cream.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MrsOverallagain - 3 years ago

Buy the highest fat content cream, usually 30%. Look for "épaisse" - thick. Chill it for 24 hours in the fridge.  It'll whip up just fine. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by dirtrider - 3 years ago

If you really need to understand what Cream is What then this is the best explanation and a real one fact not fiction

http://parisbymouth.com/primer-on-normandy-cream-la-creme-de-la-creme/

Sorry no image available
Posted by mavis cruet-909959 - 3 years ago

If you don't mind UHT cream, SuperU sell a 'creme pour professionnel' in blue and white litre cartons which is found in the longlife milk and cream section

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jolly joy - 3 years ago

Thank you for all the helpful replys. Fortunately I live near Dinan and lclerc has just re fit their store . Fingers crossed, I will find it there!

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

It is not possible to buy the parallel of British Double Cream or Whipping Cream in France.  The fat levels are simply too low.  That is unless you got to M&S in Paris.  An alternative is Elmlea but French shops do not sell that either but at least if you bring it from the UK it has a shelf life of 3 months.