DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

equivalent to self raising flour

Posted by enthuisiasm - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Janouk - 3 years ago

Yes farine gateaux has got rasing agent in it and to all intents and purposes is SR flour, I just find a little of the levure chimique is nice for extra lightness for some recipes - If I'm making fruit cakes I don't add it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by firestarter-435430 - 3 years ago

If you look carefully on the farine de gateaux it will say on the packet 'avec poudre levant'

I've bought this and it is the same as normal self-raising flour.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Janouk - 3 years ago

Super U and Netto also do their own brand Farine a gateaux and I have used both, but like others I also add some levure chimique (a teaspoon or so depending how much flour)

Sorry no image available
Posted by staffordian - 3 years ago

I could not make a satisfactory Victoria Sandwich here,despite using all the recommended flours,so changed to Lidl and have never had a problem,just add baking powder and your away.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Karen-381938 - 3 years ago

You can make your own SR flour using 2tsp baking powder to every 150g or 6oz plain flour.

I always used to use the Francine farine gateaux, but it's so much more expensive than plain flour which I buy from Lidl or Aldi. I've tried my own the last couple of times I've made cakes and it seems fine. Obviously if you recipe specifies SR flour plus baking powder, then you add extra

This is from Nigella. Apparently she no longer suggests SR flour inher recipe books to save on storage and also to save it losing its efficacity if you don't use it very often.

Sorry no image available
Posted by blossoming - 3 years ago

hi I would recommend you use farine gateaux but add a sachet of levure chimique as well it works best.

Sorry no image available
Posted by enthuisiasm - 3 years ago

thank you kindly for quick replies Without the Anglo Forum I would be lost.

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

There is also Francine farine à gateaux which can be found in most supermarkets.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tilts - 3 years ago

hi

i use Faine a Gateaux, it already has a raising agent and works just the same as SR. I buy the make Chabrior which is available at Intermarche.