DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Footprints!

Posted by Tryval - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Well - perhaps these journeys to Poland have reduced somewhat, now that so many Poles now live and work in the UK. Food processing and meat packing etc is often the mainstay of work for the Poles in the UK - but they are industrious and working.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

gee gee 42, simlar story, when I was living in SW Scotland, a potted shrimp producer, sent the whole shrimps (caught in the Solway Firth) to Poland to be shelled, they came back to Dumfries for the rest of the processing, that was in the 80's

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

I once read an article where a Scottish farmer grew lettuce, these lettuce were boxed up and shipped by plane to Poland where they were washed and put in bags ,they were then put on a plane and flown back to a distribution centre in northern England,the farmers local supermarket stocked the bagged lettuce which said on the bag grown in Scotland but there was no mention of its polish trip,so basically the only thing that was green was the lettuce.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 3 years ago

Grebo don't be so aggresive. If you want to discuss the illegal immigration into the EU start another thread. The Roscoff pink onions are superb, fiery!

Sorry no image available
Posted by tigre-979768 - 3 years ago

I agree, they bring tears to my eyes

Sorry no image available
Posted by Missing Dog Valbonne - 3 years ago

Onions have feelings too....

Sorry no image available
Posted by Grebo-210000 - 3 years ago

Strange!! People dying in trucks. People dying in dingies. People smugglers moving PEOPLE!! & all you want to discuss is transporting onions. You really ought to get out more. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by bella-382361 - 3 years ago

Much as I would love to eat French onions I find they are all too sweet and watery and I will only buy them if they come from somewhere else. I hate to do it but I like onions to taste like onions. I have no idea what they do to them. As for bananas - they all come from afar but for some reason the ones from Dominica and Martinique also have a strange taste. I always try and buy locally but there is very little to buy locally and don't want to spend all day reading the labels. The local market mainly sells vegetables and fruit from afar too.

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

dozygirl - because people are enjoying the discussion?  It happens, you know!

AQ - agree, but we do try and use local or EU manufacturers of other products too, if possible.  Products manufactured in the EU are often of better quality and last longer (less expensive in the long run) than products manufactured further away.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dozygirl-10045474 - 3 years ago

Easy answer - don't buy the NZ onions.  Why there are 30odd replies to this thread I don't know!