DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

France is the first

Posted by Gleaner - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

The new law states that supermarkets are not allowed to throw out food which is 'encore consommable' (still edible), nor is it legal to render edible food inedible on purpose so that you can throw it out.  Therefore your question about food which has gone off is covered - they are not allowed to give away food which would be dangerous to eat.

Sorry no image available
Posted by john lydon - 3 years ago

Répondre| À : Orme2     As i said i'm talking meat and all EU countries are covered by the same regs. The regulations are EU, that is why items carry an EEC number. A Further processor of meat  or a supermarket selling meat imported from outside the EU has also to abide by the same rules. Use by and sell by are determined by standard bacterial testing. You have to have this for your different industry standards,  EFSIS, HACCP, ISO etc etc which without supermarkets will not buy from you.       Companies spend thousands on testing, do people actually think they would do this if it was not for a reason or part of the hygiene/health regs ? Big companies have several people employed doing these tests on an ongoing basis costing hundreds of thousands it's that important.    If a supermarket near you is selling OOD produce they are breaking the law and putting peoples health at risk and should be reported and prosecuted, once it is out of date it is no longer fit for human consumption.     People are confusing the dates, Best before, sell by date and use by date are not the same. It is illegal to sell OOD produce ie If the sell by has passed or the Use by date has passed , the clue is in the wording.  You can sell if best before date has passed as this is a guide date; A sell by or use by will be shown on the pack as well.   

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

john lydon, are all the rules you set out for the UK or for France?

Sorry no image available
Posted by john lydon - 3 years ago

Sorry to say but some are actually missing the points here

1) Supermarkets do not have storage space (refrigerated) to hold  OOD produce hence it goes into bins. It is unfit for consumption as proven by bacterial testing so why invest millions in refrigeration for rubbish. 2) You are not allowed to store OOD produce with In date produce because of contamination risks.  3) it is illegal to distribute out of date produce because of the health risks. 4) If supermarkets via government directives are made to distribute OOD produce then any DLC within the supply chain becomes irrelevant 5) Anyone falling ill from eating OOD produce would be able to claim against the distributor. 6) Use by dates are there for a reason they are not just made up. Controlled tests are done daily by food suppliers.    Yes it is a waste but it is a waste caused by the consumers desire for 24/7 supply of products. ie shoppers not happy because something has sold out hence the supermarkets ordering extra and factoring in a throw away %. UK supermarkets factor in 33% on meat.   If it is past it's USE by date today it is still past it's USE by date tomorrow. This means unfit for human consumption however you want to spin it.   

Sorry no image available
Posted by stonedecroze - 3 years ago

Well said 'Gleaner' and just to prove your point along comes 'oakley'.

Whatever the specifics the principle should surely be respected. All that food in waste bins en route to dumps is shameful. I have frequently eaten past due food - not because I am impoverished but because I have common sense.

Well done France (and the EU perhaps). Now if they could please reduce packaging as well they would make further giant strides.

Sorry no image available
Posted by oakley-419073 - 3 years ago

The nearest supermarket to us sells many outdated foods so can't imagine how old it is before that is taken off the shelves. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gleaner - 3 years ago

Well said Ullrich. My point was to bring to everyones attention the newly introduced law and the benefits associated with it for some folk. Seriously though, a lot of folk on here these days just seem to want to troll any thread these days. Sad :'(

Sorry no image available
Posted by kathyd2 - 3 years ago

I agree Ullrich.

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

Whatever, don't they deserve credit for trying when others (like my proud country) don't do anything?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Davey1200-433468 - 3 years ago

Knowing the French, this will just be another law that is ignored.