DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

fruit and veg

Posted by wiggi-10047635 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by wiggi-10047635 - 3 years ago

Hi Benji56, as recommended by yourself, I managed to get round to La Ville Jallu Meneac the other day. Found the small little farm shop you mentioned and some of the veg is picked fresh on request rather than leaving it on the shop shelves given that it is situated on a quiet road. Really good quality and friendly people who seem to be just starting out so they welcomed the support. Will be visiting again, thank you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by finnben1-565557 - 3 years ago

Just been to Mark and Sandra's in La Ville Jallu, just outside Meneac. Lovely fresh eggs and home grown veg. Open between 09.30 and 20.00hrs. Very friendly.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

The quality and freshness (or lack of) seems to vary more with Super U than the other supermarket chains and depends on the manager at individual stores. Some will arrange to clear the decks of tired produce, offering it at reduced prices, whilst others don't seem to bother, allowing new to be mixed with old or just not replacing the old until "it walks out of the store by itself". By this time, of course, the new produce kept out the back is past its best as well, so the cycle continues. Treating their customers like idiots just cannot be good for business, but then I have seen customers scooping up the vegetables into bags without looking at it - so perhaps some habits are difficult to break, especially if there is no local competition in the smaller towns where Super U are mostly located. So it seems to depend on the local store where you live.

Sorry no image available
Posted by paul & nadine - 3 years ago

a few weeks ago i went into my local super u,and shocked at what i saw,french beans being put in and mixed with beans that should have been thrown away.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

Our Super U Malansac 56, no complaints re fruit and veg, but we prefer our meat products from the butcher in Cadan 56 (baker too) , not a bit more expensive, but far better quality.

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

Our local Super U has excellent fruit and vegetables, many of which are locally grown.  Maybe there is a Super U near Merdrignac?

We also have a market twice a week which has good local produce, much of it organic.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tigre-979768 - 3 years ago

We are on a long term housesit in Brittany, and I must say i think generally the veg in the supermarkets is poor. We have travelled to the south of France on a lot of occasions and the quality and selection of the veg has been good. Do the Bretons eat more tinned/frozen veg I wonder?

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Yes - all too often this is the case. Perhaps that's the reason why there's hardly any vegetables on the plate when eating out in restaurants - and why salad is offered mostly. It probably explains why there are so many tinned vegetables sold. Interestingly, the French expression for kitchen garden is potager - and of course, potage is soup, suggesting that a lot of home grown veg is destined for soup, rather than an accompaniment to a main course. However, if you grow your own, as suggested, at least you can be in control over the freshness and quality, whether part of the main course, or soup.

Sorry no image available
Posted by skippy-383549 - 3 years ago

Our French neighbour had a greenhouse built so that he could grow his own. In his words "the fruit and veg here are rubbish " of course he said it in French.  Couldn't agree with him more. It doesn't matter where you buy it from market or supermarket it's all dreadful, tasteless and rotten within a day or two. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by swalsey - 3 years ago

yes