DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

home made bacon.

Posted by sabc15-427548 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 4 years ago

Hi,sabc15,  Last time I tried to get the saltpetre for this I found it is on restricted sale by itself in U.K. because it is an element of bomb-making.  Regarding results, obviously the better the quality you start with, the better will be the bacon, and I found a key thing was to let the fluid drain away  to stop it staying flabby.  The final problem is slicing it nice and thin!   Enyoy

Sorry no image available
Posted by shepherdscrook - 4 years ago

I had to order mine from the pharmacy and it was quite expensive but as you only use a little it will last for ages.

I found the curing salts in the supermarket didn't work as well.

There was a post a few years back on here that I printed out and it takes you through the steps of curing ham/bacon and also how to make your own pork scratchings - they  were excellent!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 4 years ago

Hi. thank to all that have replied,of too the UK in a few days and will stock up with salt from the cash & carry, I was watching a video on U Tube,about dry curing putting the joint in a wooden box covered with salt and herbs/spices and leaving until dried out,anyone tried that way of curing.sabc15.

Sorry no image available
Posted by cherylann morris - 4 years ago

I just use salt brine has worked for the past 8 years!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by DN-434538 - 4 years ago

Sorry, I did not say what it does,

It kills Botulism, which is the most dangerous bug you can get from cured pork.

Sorry no image available
Posted by DN-434538 - 4 years ago

Tom Press sells it on line.

I have some, in fact I have over 200 grammes and as you use it in very small amounts, half a gramme to a kilo of meat I would willingly post you 10 grammes if you PM your postal address.

It is very poisonous though in quantity, so it does have to be mixed thoroughly with your salt.

I presume it would come through the post OK properly marked but it does look remarkably like another white powder!

D.N

Sorry no image available
Posted by le chef - 4 years ago

Calipro at Lamballe in the butchery section sell 5kgs bags of curing salt, its so easy to make your own hams and bacon.

Sorry no image available
Posted by normandyranger - 4 years ago

Go onto Ebay UK and buy curing salts from there, we do our own with either belly or loin and it is fab,

comes with instructions on the bag