DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Left handed diners

Posted by MrsOverallagain - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yellowperill - 3 years ago

Well said that Man Mervyn Weston

Sorry no image available
Posted by Monkeynut-937976 - 3 years ago

This is actually funny as I was talking about left and right handiness the other day .

i am left handed and I eat as a right handed person with my fork in my left hand and knife in my right hand .

I set a table as a right handed person and have seen a table set by a left handed person and I find it odd looking even though I am left handed .

i eat a desert though with my left hand (spoon in left ) but I cut bread with the knife in my left hand and not in my right even though I cut food up with on a plate with  a knife in my right hand .

i throw a ball right handed , play tennis left handed , bowl a cricket ball right handed but i also play crown green bowling left handed !

I hold a cup left handed and stir tea left handed and type more left handed than right !

I am the only left handed person in my entire family and I might add when I do see a left handed person doing things it looks really weird to me but I am left handed myself !

my mother thinks I am odd I am sure !

Sorry no image available
Posted by Harry Dresden - 3 years ago

I do find this sort of thread unacceptable - surely it is not for immigrants to criticise or judge the country they have moved too?

Indeed, they do not drive on the wrong side of the road because to drive on the right is the law here in France. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

I was born there and still do it like..................

I remember my late wife cutting everything up in the normal way, she was right handed so knife in right hand and fork in the left, after which she put the knife down and with the fork in her right hand would proceed to eat. I questioned it once but  didn't ask again !!!!

After 45 years in Europe I still can't get the hang of doing it the opposite way.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jdkane3 - 3 years ago

We can all learn something by turning the fork over and scooping instead of stabbing and assembling the layers of meat, mashed, and peas. I was able to master the left hand fork, after 50+ years of US scooping. I eat less quickly now, and I am a marvel to my relatives in the states.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lakeman-415065 - 3 years ago

It is because they drive on the wrong side of the road.  France is foreign country, they do things differently there!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 3 years ago

If you think about it logically the most "dangerous" bit of eating is sticking something with 4 prongs into your mouth. So us left handers have got it right because we are using our most dextrous hand to do the dangerous bit!

Please Amanda.61 try and refrain from having a dig at the UK at every opportunity.

Dave

Sorry no image available
Posted by grannydot-403561 - 3 years ago

The French also seem to eat with the prongs of the fork pointing up, and scoop up the food. If you present them with potatoes in skins they will stick them on their fork, and peel it with the knife. 

We must eat just as strangely to them.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mervyn Weston - 3 years ago

Hi All,

I remember my late wife cutting everything up in the normal way, she was right handed so knife in right hand and fork in the left, after which she put the knife down and with the fork in her right hand would proceed to eat. I questioned it once but  didn't ask again !!!! She was a strong lady with her own mind. I miss her badly. Enjoy your life, no matter which side of the plate your knife is !!

Regards, Mervyn.

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

Thanks for making me laugh!

Table manners seem poor in the UK too..... or maybe it's (sadly!) a generation thing!!