DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Minced meat

Posted by Britney Ferry - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Whyme?-991477 - 3 years ago

Homemade also tastes way better than the artificial tasting mass produced stuff.  I never liked mincemeat until I made my own.  I use Delias recipe.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Janouk - 3 years ago

Thanks for the link gerogev - I like the mincemeat recipe I normally use (see previous post) but am always interested in other recipes so liked browsing the link - Merry Christmas!

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

Mincemeat is really the most simple Christmas Food to make so I never understand why people search for it in shops.  It also keeps well in the fridge because of its high sugar content.

http://goodrecipes.me.uk/index.php/festive-and-celebration/christmas-puddings/59-mincemeat

Sorry no image available
Posted by mobee - 3 years ago

Intermarche Guemene-sur-Scorff (56) English section, had plenty when I was in there yesterday.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fossil-445873 - 3 years ago

Saw it in the English section in Super U at Loudeac last night. Merry Christmas!

Sorry no image available

Sorry, should have checked for dyslexic spelling as well as checking recipe - should read without suet!

Sorry no image available

And here's another mincemeat recipe wihtout suet

450g dried mixed fruit (I use just sultanas as dried fruit is limited here) - 225g stoned dates  (chopped)- 225g no soak dried apricots  (chopped) - 575g Bramley cooking apple (I've used any green apple, as no Bramleys) peeled & grated - 1teaspoon each of ground nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon - 440ml can Guiness - 5 tblspns whisky

Put all ingredients in a pan except the whisky. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until apple cooked, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Cool slightly and add whisky.

Either put in sterilised jars and store in the fridge until required (will keep for 1 month) or pack in freezer containers and use within 6 months.

Simples!

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonne - 3 years ago

You can make it without suet - here's a recipe

http://www.maryberry.co.uk/recipes/christmas/special-mincemeat

Sorry no image available
Posted by Millisle - 3 years ago

I usually make mine-very easy,and I then can add for my taste nuts-plenty alcohol and way to go-course you need suet! so I stock up on that for them and dumplings!!

I tend to make rather a lot---so I usually have a few jars for the next year--even better!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by le chef - 3 years ago

Super U at Loudeac had it last week'