DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

mobile butcher

Posted by dirtbag161-405310 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Burt Lancaster - 3 years ago

Country dweller,   when was this last updated?  Genuine question as i was told this morning than pigs are also now off limits for on farm slaughter. It is through personal interest i ask and apologise to the op for asking in their thread but as they have not answered the question about what they want doing i presume they have found someone. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

The killing needs to be done at a licensed slaughterhouse unless it is an "abattage familiale".This can only be done on pigs sheep goats poultry and rabbits.Cows can only be slaughtered in an abbatoir.Abbatage familiale means  that all the meat etc is for the use of the family concerned and cannot be sold or given away to others(this does not apply to small scale poultry concerns).The animal must have been raised but not necssarliy born on the premises where it is slaughtered and for long enough to enable it to put on weight etc so weaners must be brought on to adulthood and animals cannot be imported for a short period of time.They must be slaughtered properly or the law on animal cruelty will apply.The death of the animal has to be recorded with the authorities quoting the eartag.Hopes this helps to allay fears

Sorry no image available
Posted by rosieholt - 3 years ago

Bonjour de l'Angleterre,

We lived next door to a pig breeder; he used a butcher who came to the farm to kill a pig and then cut it up into the various joints for the freezer.

The  owner of the farm is Patrick Le Maux ,    Kerleau,  St. Connec   (near Mur de Bretagne)

Tel. No. 02 96 26 07 26

I don't mind, if you tell him Alice from Reguly gave you the  no.

Sorry no image available

can you confirm if it's butchery or slaughter? Was told this morning slaughter now has to be at a licenced abattoir.

Sorry no image available

Butchery and slaughter are 2 different things anyway.  Can i suggest you ask your local farmer or pig breeder, pretty sure they will know someone. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by dirtbag161-405310 - 3 years ago

I'm just after a number I never asked for comments on how people feel about slaughtering your own stock. Open your own discussion forum thank you very much.

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

Having seen a pig being killed in a back yard I wouldn't want to put any pig that I owned or an onlooker, through the distressing sequence of events.  I am not a whimp having attended a slaughter house at the age of 8 and watched pigs being killed but the back yard killing was something else.

Best send it to the slaughter house.  However, with the price of pork at the moment it is hardly economic, though you do know the history of the animal which might justify the cost.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

I'll be interested in the answers to this. I always assumed you had to take the animal to the butcher, and collect the meat afterwards. That's what the farmers I know always seem to do, and surely they wouldn't waste their time transporting animals if the butcher would come out to them and do the job. I assumed it was because if you wanted the animal butchered onsite, you would have to have a conforme and approved facility where the butcher can work, as I believe is the case for producers in the UK.

But maybe it's different if the meat is for personal consumption?