DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Pickling walnuts, when to pick in Brittany (22)

Posted by Annabelle's Papa - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jo Taylor-790528 - 4 years ago

They need to be pricked and put into the brine as soon as they are picked/gathered, otherwise they will soon rot - and remember the brine will need changing after one week. It looks as if your friend will be doing most of that, the mucky end of the process, so she'll have to be bribed with half the produce!

How many jars? It depends how big the nuts are and how well they sit down in the jar together - small Hellman's jars won't really be big enough, especially if you have large walnuts. I use preserving jars (Kilner type).

Sorry no image available
Posted by Annabelle's Papa - 4 years ago

Hi, I can't get out to Brittany around the 22/23 June not until the 14th of July, would it be ok to pick/collect the walnuts and keep them to one side until I can get in mid July or do the walnuts have to go into the brine immediately, so after two weeks they nees to dry and then I will be there for putting in jars.

A friend has offered to collect them but it may be a lot to ask for her to do all the work and also I was looking forward to doing it.

How many jars (small Helman's mayonaise size) would I need for 2kg of walnuts ?

Many thanks.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 4 years ago

My Grandmother use to pickle jars & jars of the things,and made us eat them,absolutely detest the things,not that I have every eaten any since she died some 50ish years ago,maybe I am scarred for life.I feel a compensation claim coming on.sabc15.

Sorry no image available

It won't matter if it's a bit early, the date is just an estimation of when they are big enough - but before the shell has started to form.

If you have plenty, of a decent size, you can do it now. Better than leaving them until it's too late!

Sorry no image available
Posted by blotto - 4 years ago

OK, I'm watching the walnuts growing daily. Has anybody got any other info on a suitable date for harvesting? If not, I'll go with 21st June as per previous post .  Many thanks for all the useful posts, especially to Jo for the recipe :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jane121walking-387738 - 4 years ago

No you don't stip the husk off you use the whole of the green walnut before the shell has formed inside usually by the end of June .Prick them and pickle them whole

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iamhe - 4 years ago

so can someone run me through the procedure ,,, strip the husk of I  assume then ( is that easy )  ???????????

Sorry no image available
Posted by Annabelle's Papa - 4 years ago

As the original Poster, can I thank everyone for their replies, Martin you should try pickled walnuts with cheese, absolutely fantastic.

The main reason I was asking for a date is that I am relying on a friend to do the collecting and I was trying to avoid wasting their time, I had been told of dates that related to central England (19th of July), so realised that it would be sooner.

It is funny that having been visiting/living in Brittany for nearly 15 years, people in the UK ask what is the weather like, we have always said it is very similar to the UK but plants,grass etc always seem 3-4 weeks ahead of our part of the UK (Worcestershire) and this suggests that we were not far of the mark..

Sorry no image available

Martin King - our own huge tree - now sadly fallen victim to the dread Honey Fungus - produced so many walnuts it was hard to know what to do with them all. Buckets full. Pickling the early windfalls and a few kilos from the lower branches barely made a dent in the quantity. Neighbours and friends could help themselves too (those that didn't have a tree of their own!). Nowadays they return the favour and I still have jars of pickled ones from years ago.

Pickled walnuts aren't a substitute for fresh - totally different things.

It's good to have a date to work to - too early and they aren't full size, too late and the shell will have started to form - so it's useful to know roughly when to start thinking about it.

It also ties in with old festivals and folklore - picking at the Summer Solstice - and St. John's Eve (23rd June) is when Italians gather green walnuts to make the liqueur nocino.

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 4 years ago

My Mum used to pickle walnuts that were still green that had fallen on to the ground from the tree.  She never picked them - it was an enormous very old tree - that never seemed to produce fully ripened walnuts.  My cousin still hankers after them (tree long gone - chopped down for Mother's bungalow!