DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Pig Crisis

Posted by Burt Lancaster - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Burt Lancaster - 3 years ago

Dibby spot, not saying they do or don't deserve more for their goods, the debate is supposed to be about can restrictions on where produce is sourced is actually be legal under EU policy. If the EU is to survive then imo not and the farmers are asking for something that is unrealistic.  Free Trade/ movement etc etc.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

Just to be completely clear this is an EU wide problem!  French farmers are right ot be alarmed at the total disregard many supermarkets show to them as suppliers. 

I support cheap food but not at the detriment to the producers which will, in the end impact us all. In France as in UK some farmers are very keen to take dramtatic steps. They are to be applauded for it.

As for French farmers supporting French products in supermarkets - UK farmers are applying the same thinking in the UK.

Farmers are in crisis we as consumers should be careful to ensure we support that shops who support the farmers of our chosen country just as we would in the UK.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

The EU, as we know it today, was originally founded through the Treaty of Rome and the Common Agricultural Policy was the backbone which was designed to stabilize production and prices of many key agricultural products. With over generous subsidies, there was an excess of production, leading to costly storage by the Intervention Agencies - remember the butter mountains ? This protectionist regime could not continue for ever, so the support has gradually been reduced.  Production of many farm commodities is still too high, so that without as much support, the farm gate price is sometimes less than the cost of production. As the EU has expanded to the extent we have today, there are now some 28 countries in this regime, which increases the volume of these products, as well as the markets for their consumption. However, in dismantling the support mechanisms which guaranteed minimum prices, nothing was introduced within the EU to cushion the impact or to help stabilize prices. So, many farmers are finding it uneconomic to continue with their businesses, as farm gate prices tumble on an EU wide scale - not just France.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Burt Lancaster - 3 years ago

The original topic was a question aimed at the reality of the EU, nothing to do with disliking the way things are done in France.  The EU is supposedly built on free trade etc, if this is not the case then what is the point ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Quite right AG, this forum exists to facilitate discussion on a wide range of issues and allow people to express their views, which might ormight not agree with others. Just because someone has moved to another country, does not meen they have to like absolutely everything they experience in that country. Nor should they feel obliged to keep quiet or even return to the UK. I doubt there is anywhereon the planet that offers a perfect life, without cause for some sort of adverse comment about some Iissue or another. People are free to comment (unless they are in North Korea or similar) and it is bydoing so that interest in particular issues can be generated to bring them to the attention of those who might be in a position to put it right. Farmers in general, particularly dairy farmers, are facing tough times, as EU susidies contnue to reduce. The effects of this are just the same in the UK as in France, but protests are lower key in the UK. Prices paid by retailers to farmers are often not enough to cover the cost of production and many are going out of business, which if it continues, willcreate sshortages in Europe and hence higher prices, as well as more imports from further afield. This is an EU wide problem and probably needs EU action to help stabilize prices and production to give a fairer deal all round.

Sorry no image available
Posted by absolutely gallois - 3 years ago

All of our dogs cats and chickens were rescued in France. It is simply the way we are built.

Others do not like animals and I can recognise their arguments however to watch animal cruelty in being and be  stifled by dint of the fact that you are from the UK is not an argument that has any weight.

Of course one's views must be balanced and be capable of being challenged without descending into personal attacks.  That is not what this is all about.

In my view and providing I act intelligently and the argument is sound I should not be handcuffed simply because I am a UK citizen and reside in France.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mollypoodle60 - 3 years ago

you have a valid point about right to view different opinions but if you look at likes and dislikes if being resident in a country that falls short of how you want to live return to where ever you could be happier!! of course some people are unhappy where ever they are.

As for animal cruelty I completely understand but prefer to do what ever I can for the elderly or fragile canines to the extent I have 7 french dogs and one english all rescues sometimes it is better to act than sit and turn ones back if possible,

Sorry no image available
Posted by absolutely gallois - 3 years ago

In an open and so-called 'free' society is one allowed to hold views which may be negative or positive in relation to France?

Let me give you perhaps an example and here animal cruelty is a universal issue.  Should one in France and being of UK origin just sit idly by when confronted by animal cruetly.  And cruelty in my book can never equate to culture. On the basis that I comment negatively on this issue should I get on the Brittany ferries at St Malo and never return?

Then I have no doubt that the countless hundreds of thousands of French nationals in London alone criticise the UK.  Should we ask them to leave?

For balance and after all of these years in France I am in general terms very happy with my lot in France and have friends (French) be they in Bretagne Normandie or the Vendee.

However if I have concerns I do reserve the right and provided it is a sound argument to express an opinion on issues that matter to me. 

Or should I pack my bags and be on the ferry tomorrow morning.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mollypoodle60 - 3 years ago

If english farmers were  a bit more vocal/militant with the like of Tesco and other supermarkets perhaps they would have better price for milk etc.

and like other posters if all you can do is critise the French way of life why stay go home I am sure the French will not miss you!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by chris1-400976 - 3 years ago

Well said o ren I'm with you on this.