DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

rice pudding

Posted by Anonymous - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by staffordian - 4 years ago

I always make my rice puddings with full cream milk and add crean.Absolutely super.

The Doctor in the UK told me for stomach upsets lay off the milk,he said it feeds the bacteria.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 4 years ago

Have you tried adding coconut milk. It's delicious (not if you don't like coconut of course!)

Sorry no image available
Posted by english eccentric - 4 years ago

We usually serve rice pudding at our Fête Médiévale ( 30/31 mai) in Ploërdut and it is cooked the French way :low heat and for hours, it's wonderful!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pushkin-986745 - 4 years ago

I just buy it in tins from Intermarcher in Rostrenen , Ambrosia creamed rice  Simples !!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by grannydot-403561 - 4 years ago

Breeze. Hummmm bit difficult, we have an insert wood burner. Lol. But If we had an open one I certainly would. Should be fine as long as you keep it simmering.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Breeze-906262 - 4 years ago

Grannydot, have you tried your condensed milk in a saucepan on top of your woodburner?  I do a lot of cooking on mine and it's really effective and so cheap - since I'm using it anyway!

Sorry no image available
Posted by fruitrouge2 - 4 years ago

Thanks guys very nice of you to say so, and grannydot wow I never knew that, I will be trying that later as I have a tin of condensed milk in the cupboard :-D 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Breeze-906262 - 4 years ago

Thank you Grannydot.  Just what my mother used to do and I had always thought I'd never find out how she did it.  Wonderful.  Anonymous, I laughed too at the number of times people told you where to find Evap.milk, but not what it was called.  I wanted the answer to the same question, so I shared your frustration.  Thank you for asking the question, and thank you too Fruitrouge2 for such a clear answer.

Sorry no image available
Posted by grannydot-403561 - 4 years ago

If you look at fruit rouge2 comment that is exactly what they are called, well explained, one is evaporated milk, ( the thin one ) and the other is condensed milk ( the very thick one) . Just like the ones sold in the UK. 

ADDED POINT. if you get a tin of condensed milk, put it unopened in a pan, cover it with water, and keep the water above the tin, boil for 3 hrs, you have a beautiful caramel sauce. Delicious on crepes, or ice cream. A lot cheaper than buying caramel in jars. Even with the gas. You just have to aware and keep you eye on the water. if you like the caramel they sell here, do 2 or 3 cans at the same time. Keeps in the fridge, once opened.

Sorry no image available
Posted by astoria - 4 years ago

Hi, I always buy my evaporated milk for rice puddings, from Super U.

The brand they have on the shelves, is called "GLORIA".

I always make enough rice pudding (with a beautiful skin on top)  to feed an "army." (there is only  2 of us! ) I love my bowls of rice puddings so much, I could sing GLORIA in EXCELSUS after them!

Going to make some tomorrow!

Cheers Cas: