DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Suet

Posted by Durham Lass-390934 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by oldspot-443361 - 3 years ago

i buy mine from kerbian farm they have atora suet on the shelf but also they have beef dripping.

Sorry no image available
Posted by HAF-443346 - 3 years ago

saindoux is pork

Sorry no image available
Posted by Durham Lass-390934 - 3 years ago

Thank you all so much for your replies to my posting.  On this occasion I am going to try using a block of frozen butter to make some sage dumplings.  Wish me luck!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jo Taylor-790528 - 3 years ago

If you buy suet from the butcher as graisse de rognon you will receive lumps of beef kidney fat complete with all its connective tissue, blood vessels and other nasty bits.

You can't just grate that and use it in cooking; it needs to be rendered first - the process is long and unpleasant, best carried out using a slow cooker in an outbuilding! This article describes it well:
http://timetravelkitchen.blogspot.fr/2012/01/rendered-suet.html

And here are some good instructions - this is a four-part article, the third of which is how to prepare it (the second part explains why other fats are not a good substitute.):

http://savoringthepast.net/2013/01/22/suet-part-three-preparing-it/

After starting off with large chunks of kidney fat, you end up with a relatively small quantity of pure white odourless suet. I have done it, but won't again...

Suet (the rendered fat) in French is suif - you can occasionally buy it, apparently, though I've never seen it.

Vegetable "suet" is a concoction of palm oil and rice flour; pretty sure it doesn't exist in France unless you can find it in a supermarket's 'foreign food' section.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonne - 3 years ago

I have ocasionally frozen a block of butter and grated that directly into the flour to make dumplings.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rosie's mum - 3 years ago

That should read.  "Petite Bretagne" in Gourec

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rosie's mum - 3 years ago

The "Petete Bretagne" english shop, in Gourec sells Atora Suet.

Sorry no image available
Posted by genie-382498 - 3 years ago

I use grated saindoux (lard- I keep it in the freezer) also found near the meat counter.  Or you could try your local Bio-coop who may have a vegetabe alternative to the saindoux

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 3 years ago

I've used Leclercs's "graisse salee" found on the meat counter.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonne - 3 years ago

That's a good tip and you can buy jars of duck fat and goose fat in the supermarkets (chiller shelves).  Should make tasty dumplings!