DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Suet Help please

Posted by c2oafc-383379 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by grannydot-403561 - 3 years ago

Try Kerbian, they do the CBJ trocs, next one next Sunday at Bulat Pestivian. Dawn will be there next to the big orange van selling bacon butties.

Sorry no image available
Posted by DaniB-418045 - 3 years ago

Have you looked for Atora suet on the "English" shelf in Intermarche, Pontivy?

Sorry no image available
Posted by bossbird - 3 years ago

I`m pretty sure you can buy it from the British grocery shop in Gouarec 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tilla - 3 years ago

I have tried buying it in France. avoiding the Brits who sell it at market stalls etc, but all I got was blank stares (we don't have a butcher anywhere near us) So I asked my French neighbours who were non-plussed and said no, they had never heard of it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

kerbian farm stock it

vegeterian and normal atora and dumpling ready to mix pks

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jo Taylor-790528 - 3 years ago

If you buy graisse de rognon (beef kidney fat) from the butcher you can't use it without rendering (clarifying) it first - which is a long-drawn-out smelly process, hours in a warm oven or slow cooker to remove the connective membranes, blood clots and any other impurities. That even needs to be done when you want it to make suet balls for the birds - if you hang up a chunk of untreated fat, all you'll attract is bluebottles!

After trying that - once -  it's now one of the few ready-prepared ingredients I'm happy to buy! Frozen butter will substitute at a pinch, but the results won't be the same due to its lower melting point - you won't get the right texture.

Rendering it produces a fine white odourless fat which keeps for ages. Remember that most British recipes ask for shredded suet, like Atora, which has about 15% flour added, so adjust the proportions if using fresh suet.

Click here: SAVORING THE PAST  for more info than you ever needed...

Sorry no image available
Posted by lamb chop - 3 years ago

intermarché usually sells it in the english section

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonne - 3 years ago

If you use butter it's easier to grate if you freeze a block first - grate it at the last minute and mix up fast !

Sorry no image available
Posted by Vixter-398527 - 3 years ago

I have substituted finely chopped or grated butter when making dumplings and Christmas pudding. Worked perfectly!

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonne - 3 years ago

Ask in the butchers for "graisse de rognon" - it comes in a piece which you can grate or shred.