DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Total roast frustration

Posted by stonedecroze - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by stonedecroze - 3 years ago

Thanks everyone. Never used UK spuds before so must be my oven using skills.

Will try semolina, heard that before.

Enjoy your spuds!

Sorry no image available
Posted by berny-382476 - 3 years ago

I have to make sure my roasties are spot on for our angling guests every week.

I dont use any specific potatoes.

i bring them to the boil for a couple of minutes, drain, toss in oil, then toss them in a fine coating of semolina,  turn them half way through roasting, perfect every time, no probs, 

Happy xmas all,

Sorry no image available
Posted by shaddy-409939 - 3 years ago

If you are cooking a lot of potatoes dont squeeze them into one tin use two tin they need to have space to roast.

Sorry no image available
Posted by foureyes-10044529 - 3 years ago

I agree, Kernowboy.  I have tried the whole boiling and shaking thing, and I don't think it's worth the trouble.  As you say, it's a matter of preference.  Happy Christmas dinner, everyone!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kernowboy-10061199 - 3 years ago

"Simple as that".... Unless like the original poster, your oven is a problem! which is why he/she posted the question.  The rest is not down to making something simple into something difficult, it's a matter of preference.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yellowperill - 3 years ago

How can something so simple become so difficult?? oh of course it can't,  step 1 buy your spuds practically any type will do regardless of what people say, French English Australian, any. step 2 peel and chop to required size, step 3 pre heat oven (fan or otherwise) to 190 deg,  step 4 place fat  into roasting tin to about 1/4 way up,(preferably animal fat such as lard, beef dripping, goose duck or?) use oil if you have to. step 5 place roasting tin and fat into preheated oven, step 6 when fat is hot add potatoes assuring to roll them in the oil (try not to burn yourself), step 7 place in oven and leave for 20 minutes at 20 minutes roll potatoes in the oil again and return to oven for a further 20 minutes or until golden brown,  step 8 remove from oven put on plate with whatever else and eat, simple as that.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kernowboy-10061199 - 3 years ago

Foureyes, I used to do my potatoes like you do until I discovered the method you think is hassle, try it, you'll be surprised I'm sure!  It's not so much hassle as a little extra effort for a lot of extra taste! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by mavis cruet-909959 - 3 years ago

I use sunflower oil and a fan oven, always get perfect roast potatoes. French potatoes are not too watery just make sure you use the appropriate type, I prefer Bintje but in the supermarkets they very helpfully put what the spuds are best for so if it days frites/four you are ok. Absolutely NO need to buy in spuds from the UK

Sorry no image available
Posted by RHS35 - 3 years ago

Olive oil although is great and one of the better options for using for a healthier diet. It doesnt get so hot...............you can fry in it but it never gets as hot as other oils like sunflower or Rapeseed.You might find that this is the problem.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

I agree with you about fan ovens - mine browns everything in the front right corner!

I use duck fat (I don't buy it - I buy the cuisse de canard in tins and there's a whole bowl full of the stuff!). I slightly 'squash' my spuds after par-boiling them so the duck fat gets in the cracks and browns them up lovely!

Bon Appetit!