DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Weetabix!

Posted by Iguana Rock - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

This is my version of what I did:

500g plain flour, plus extra for kneading 1 teaspoon. salt 1 rounded teaspoon. bicarbonate of soda 3 weetabix (put in blender to create crumbs) 125g Farmhouse cheese, coarsely grated Approximately 500ml buttermilk

To Cook

Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 8, 230ºC (450ºF). Sift the plain flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl and stir in the weetabix and 75g of the grated cheese. Make a well in the centre, add 450ml of the buttermilk and mix together to make a soft but not too sticky dough. Add a little more buttermilk or milk if the mixture seems a little dry.

Turn the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface and knead very lightly and briefly into a round. Flip the dough over and gently flatten it into a disc about 4cm thick.

Lightly dust a baking sheet with flour and place the dough on it and sprinkle over the remaining cheese.

Then using a large, sharp knife, cut a large cross into the top of the loaf, almost all the way through the dough.

Bake the loaf on the middle shelf of the oven for 15 minutes. Then lower the oven temperature to Gas Mark 6, 200ºC (400ºF).and bake for a further 20-25 minutes, until it sounds hollow when you tap the base. Leave to cool before serving.

Bon Appetit and Bonne Chance!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

I should also have mentioned, I didn't have buttermilk so used Fromage Frais with milk and a squeeze of lemon juice. I was amazed at how good it turned out! (I don't really rate myself as a very good cook so am always pleasantly surprised when it turns out good!). I have been inspired by The Great British Bake Off - I am totally addicted!

Sorry no image available
Posted by stevietee - 3 years ago

hi iggie,love the stuff,i use yogurt with water instead of sour milk,and sometimes i put so much dough in tin,then put apple puree on top,then more dough,so it comes out like a vic sponge,but tastes great,ps thought you used your blender for diy jobs,will porrige oats work

Sorry no image available
Posted by Millisle - 3 years ago

Hi,

Brilliant idea--I am very fond of soda bread- coming  form Newtownards myself.

Would love your recipe to try please.

Elsa-Mary