DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

What do you think about the Farmers protests, good or bad?

Posted by John Stonker - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Papi-10068015 - 3 years ago

Hmm - turn the clock back several decades - who remembers Retail Price Maintenance (in the UK) ? During those times it didn't matter where you shopped, the price was the same, meaning no competition. Everyone has moved on since then and retailers pitch their prices to get shoppers into their stores, but too often by screwing the producers who then make little or no profit. If EU producers continue to go out of business through these tactics, then we will become more dependent on imports from outside the EU, who do not have to conform to EU production regulations. Whether or not this food will be competitively priced will depend on how far it travels and the increased demand for it in a scenario where EU production continues to fall as farmers give up their businesses. It doesn't bode well for a stable future for food supplies.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jackorjason - 3 years ago

Prices are ' fixed ' by what people want to pay - which is why the cheaper supermarkets are doing well - not by big corporations .

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

It wouldn't make the farmers happy though.  They all say that all they are asking is a fair price for their produce.  They want to stop having to sell at a loss which is what is happening now due to dumping by other countries who don't have to conform to such strict rules, and price fixing by the big corporations.

Sorry no image available

I suppose we could go back to the days of the good old CAP - pay the farmers high subsidies for over producing food etc - have the butter mountains and wine lakes and throw tons and tons of food away - that would make .......................................... ? happy 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Freckleface-401505 - 3 years ago

Is fairfrance milk UHT? I cannot stand the stuff if they sold the same in fresh they would have me as a customer.

Sorry no image available
Posted by a3 - 3 years ago

I always buy fairfrance milk, www.fairfrance.fr they pay the farmer 10centimes more than market even lidl stock it. I will only buy this even though I prefer bio on animal welfare  grounds but at the moment my farmer neighbours need all the help they can get. I support the big corporations have to be stopped and the actual producers of the food and wealth should get a proper return.

But I also understand the worry of individuals badly affected in their time of specific crises.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

The 40,000 head super farms started in America and Monsanto supply the seeds to the south american soya growers, I don't understand how it can be cheaper to grow soya in Brazil, stick it on a ship and transport it to Europe, its all mechanised so its not labour costs, whyvis it not cost effective to grow soya in Europe, we could do away with all the cows, drink soya milk, make soya milk cheese, tofu and even cardboard soya mince, far less emissions, healthier population, win win all round.

Sorry no image available

I wondered how long it would be before America and Monsanto were given the blame !

Sorry no image available
Posted by Freckleface-401505 - 3 years ago

Its very difficult for the general public to help the farmers as we have no idea if the litre of milk on the shelf has screwed the poor farmer into the ground.

Now when I visit the supermarket I am faced with three brands of semi skimmed milk.

From memory the prices were 90 cents 105 cents and 1.14 cents ,If i buy the dearer is the farmer getting a better price? There is no way of telling.Some years ago E Leclerc published the prices of vegetables on sale illustrating how much profit they were making,could they not do the same with milk?

If I had to pay 1.20 for milk it would add 18 cents to my weekly bill, a small price to pay to keep farmers in business.

France is not alone here UK dairy farmers are in a similar place.

Lidl by the way sells milk for 70 cents!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by usfive-390948 - 3 years ago

BAD!    My husband is a taxi driver and has to make sure people arrive on time for things such as hospital appointments etc., it isn't right when people are made late due to the protests!   What about all the rubbish they have been burning, shouldn't they be made to clear this up??