DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

What do you think about the Farmers protests, good or bad?

Posted by John Stonker - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 21 to 26)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

I think that the root cause of the whole sorry situation is the French Government and their tax regime-and they just stand idly by and let it all happen.

The government takes about 60% of the national GDP in all it's various taxes, deductions cotisations etc. 

So for every £10 you make the government nicks £6 and leaves you £4.

This is not sustainable in the long run - it's the road to ruin, think about it.

Add to that the strength and intransigence of the major unions - horror story. 

I was in business in the UK and know how hard it is to make a profit in the UK - I dread to think how hard it can be here.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ziggy Stardust - 3 years ago

Simple

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

It's quite simple really, go back to quotas, free for all doesn't work, cosy up to the Russians so they start buying cheese again, ban the production of milk in giant sheds, put 100% import duty on soya based animal feeds imported from south america,. These measures would save the livelihoods of small farmers, improve the living conditions of a large number of cows, stop the deforestation of the rainforests and probably put up the shop door price of dairy products by a few cents. That's that one sorted.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jackorjason - 3 years ago

EU playing fair - that's a good one

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

It would be a start if the EU made it obligatory to mark the origin of what we buy so that we could vote with our purses.  We could then make sure we buy produce farmed here in France.  At the moment labelling can be misleading:  transformed in France doesn't mean that the original ingredient comes from France.

Then, of course, EU countries have to ensure there is a level playing ground for farmers so that small producers of quality food are not competing unfairly with huge industrial farms in countries like Germany and Denmark.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jackorjason - 3 years ago

I very much doubt the government will do anything about the farmers - they have done nothing to sort out the thousands of economic migrants at Calais who have been breaking the law , causing criminal damage etc for years