DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

A paint recommendation please for hightop of van

Posted by itinerant child-414831 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Posted by itinerant child-414831 - 3 years ago

Thanks.

There are bits of bubbling that are going to need to be sanded down and there are a few rough bits from when I have scraped against tree branches,but majoritively the white paint job on it is not too horrendous. I often think that a home (which is the van in this case) reflects the charecter of the person,and I want to give out a tidy and happy appearance,hence needing to re-do the top. I do not like scruffiness in vehicles as I find it lazy and disrespectful to the vehicle.

As the van is already painted then I am not wrong in thinking that most exteriour paints should be ok to cover it and that an oil based paint would be the better quality?

I do a very tidy paint job,but sadly do not know my paints well enough.

All your recommendations are much appreciated

Jamie xx

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

If the glass fibre top has been previously painted and the paint coating is still ok - ie not flaking, cracked, peeling off etc, rub down and paint with an oil based paint - Lidl had some last week.

If the surface is the original gel coat of the fibreglass, unless you want to get into special expensive bonding primers it's probably best left alone, just try giving it a good clean.

Sorry no image available
Posted by buttermaker - 3 years ago

Go and look at what yacht chandlers have.