DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Are Brits inherently rude?

Posted by Jack60 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

"I have found that French businesses and organizations rarely reply to emails including the Mairie de Locminé who have failed to respond to 5 emails so far despite putting their email address on their website contact form."

In all my years living here I have found only one exception to this apparent lack of interest in email communication.  My dentist always replies quickly to an email.  She is Romanian.

Sorry no image available
Posted by chèvrefeuille - 3 years ago

I love the distinction made between Brits and the French. I have far more in common with my French neighbour than I do with the nearest English couple. Start treating people as individuals rather than grouping them together based on worst case criteria. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by brightbijoux - 3 years ago

I have found that French businesses and organizations rarely reply to emails including the Mairie de Locminé who have failed to respond to 5 emails so far despite putting their email address on their website contact form.

Sorry no image available
Posted by brian2bin - 3 years ago

To answer your question Yes they are and Ignorant as well some even crooked its the same mix here as in UK and every other country and every other race on the planet. Its just a fact of life, I find if I don't like someone I just avoid them .

Sorry no image available
Posted by muffinam-389555 - 3 years ago

So often I am sorry to say, though a few people do reply which is heartening.

Sorry no image available
Posted by all4one-10057182 - 3 years ago

With the exception of never or rarely keeping to arriving on time (especially trades people) I have always found the French, especially children extremely polite and much more so than the British.

Sorry no image available
Posted by PamandAndrew-390752 - 3 years ago

Obviously no-one has had to deal with RSI or similar here! I'm not anti-UK or France but I'm sure you'll find it the same wherever. Just look at the postings on AI asking about refunds, exchange etc of faulty goods here. I generally find that anyone trying to sell you something is quite polite! My life here is totally different to when I lived in the UK so very difficult to compare...there are good and bad points about either country, or any other...nowhere is perfect, by any means!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

Sadly the norm. In the UK even ifyou apply for a job or attend a job interview it is the norm to hear nothing this even from large companies like BT or leading employment agencies. Little wonder many companies/organisation are held in contempt by thier staff and customers.

So small wonder this flows out into other areas sadly.

Sorry no image available
Posted by stonedecroze - 3 years ago

To me the French seem to be far more polite which is one reason that I enjoy living here. Any time that I have been on leboncoin (quite a lot in fact) I have always received civil and helpful replies and generally people follow up on promises of photos etc.

As another poster says you simply have to compare the bedlam of an English shopping centre with the calm of a the French equivalent. As my wife said to me last saturday after yet another sortie (this time to Saint Maclou) - ' you know, I don't think I've ever met a French shop assistant who was not pleasant.'

Often when in public places in France i marvel at the quiet serenity of it all despite the tens/hundreds/thousands of people present. I then compare that to the raucous melee I would experience in England.

Some will disagree but we can only speak from experience.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

Correct.  It is a trait that some have developed.