DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Armistice Day 2015

Posted by marsupi - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by marsupi - 3 years ago

Thank you all for your replies. Unfortunately I have only just read the later ones as we have just returned from France where we have no wifi, so I was unaware of them. 

We were not able to attend a service due to a car problem, but certainly hope to next year.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cousin Jack and Jenny - 3 years ago

Thank you very much for the detailed answer.  My wife and I have just bought a house with the intent of making a permanent move very soon.  We hope to be there for the 11th, but, will not be making the move until early next year.  We're both heavily involved in the RBL here, in Cornwall/Kernow and hope to continue similar activities in Brittany/Breizh.  

Thanks again for your guidance.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Livingin29 - 3 years ago

I should have mentioned that the Carhaix-Plouguer cemetary is in the town on the western side of the Rue Ernest Renan.  Fg Off Freeman's grave is South-East of the monument near the central path.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Livingin29 - 3 years ago

The nearest CWGC site to Huelgoat is at Carhaix-Plouger where Fg Off William Freeman RCAF is buried. 

During the German occupation of France, the ports of Brest, Lorient, St Nazire and Cherbourg, became vital installations for the German Navy.  The constant attacks and harassment of shipping in the Atlantic, was maintained and coordinated from these ports.  Consequently, they became important targets for the allied bombing effort.  On 13 February 1943 a bombing mission was sent to attack the U-Boat installations at Lorient.  A large formation of RAF bombers passed the start point over the Ile-de-Batz and then took a route over Finistere to their target area.  During the action over Lorient, a 35 Squadron Halifax bomber (Halifax II, W7885, TL-B) was hit by anti aircraft fire.  Being unable to continue the mission, the Halifax set a course to return to the UK. However, during the return trip, the aircraft began to suffer from the damage sustained during the attack. The Halifax finally deteriorated to a serious condition and crashed, in the commune of Landeleau.  Of the eight crew members on board 7 survived, of which 6 evaded capture by the Germans.  Sadly, Fg Off Freeman, an Air Gunner, lost his life.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cousin Jack and Jenny - 3 years ago

Armistice/Remembrance Day 2015.  8/11/15 and/or 11/11/15.

Does anyone know the nearest parade/event/service to Huelgoat, 29690, please?  Thanks, in advance.

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

If not you can join our little group to lay the wreath at plussulien at 10.30 . everyone welcome .

As our mairie has kindly agreed to let us every year .

Sorry no image available

Sorry, my smiley emoticon turned into question marks!

Sorry no image available

Thank you for the replies, they are very helpful and we will do our best to be there!????

Sorry no image available
Posted by cmat-437477 - 3 years ago

They alway commemorate  Armistice  Day in Lignol, meet around 1030 outside the salle/ Marie 

Just a reminder  the 11th Armistice  Day is a Bank Holiday 

Sorry no image available
Posted by salsachica - 3 years ago

Best to ask at the Mairie's if no one responds on here. Some start at 10.30am in some villages as the officials do 2, 1 after the other followed by drinks in the bar.