Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Bringing machinery from the UK?

Posted by Kaouenn - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by avoican - 3 years ago

Often the cheapest solution is a transport relay , your vehicle is bought by a British company to the port of departure  unloaded and then loaded by the ferry company unacompanied to France , you the have it picked up from the French port by a local transporter and bought home . I sort of know where you are Kaouen so if you need a local haulier I can help you there . just PM me ..

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kaouenn - 3 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help,Its given me somthing to think about!

Has anyone driven a machine over from the UK?  I know someone did it with a tractor over 10 years ago.


Sorry no image available
Posted by MockTheCasbah-979852 - 3 years ago

It's not that complicated, just ring the nearest transporter to the location of the JCB or whatever. Tell them where it's located and where it's going to. They will tell you the date of their next delivery in that direction and the price. They arrange everything. You pay and it turns up on said date and they unload it where you want it.

Something like a JCB will probabley come as a shared load, i.e. your JCB and someone elses.

Prices, not cheap, but usually the total comes in cheaper than buying the same machine in France.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

I looks like these people could be the solution to your problem:-


Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

To be honest the best answer is it depends:

+ Do you have your own vehicle that the machine will fit on?

+ If you need an artic this will be expensive ferry costs alone both ways?

+ Insurance and point of origination and delivery with associated mileage?

Such a large machine will demand large transport resources - if you dont have such it is likley to be in excess of £1000 depending on origination/destination would expect considerably more. If it is for your work is such a cost tax deductible. Working in France on the black maybe a challenge. If you need this for work at your own property  there are many excellent ground workers.