DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Brittany Ferries Plymouth to St Malo Sunday

Posted by JimH-405027 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Maxed - 3 years ago

I've always prescribed to the belief that you are only as good as your last job and I have to say that in 25 years of travelling with BF,  I have NEVER, and I mean NEVER, had anything to complain about. Coming from me that is rare praise indeed. That doesn't mean that I'll put up with anything but I have to say BF are probably one of the most efficient and professional companies I have ever used, in any sphere of business.

I think people today are too ready to complain about absolutely anything. The compo culture has seen to that. Common sense, patience and tolerance seem to have disappeared in many people,  but hey, that's the way we seem to be going. We will keep using them, along with Condor, DFDS, Flybe and Ryanair, which ever suits at the time. None of these others though can even begin to compare to BF. I just can't understand why some people keep knocking them. Nobody's perfect and if you have a problem with them, treat them with the same respect as you would want to be treated yourself.

Alan

Sorry no image available
Posted by bhouse-10060550 - 3 years ago

Yes, I was booked Newhaven - Dieppe and they transferred me to Dover - Calais.

All ferry operators have to confirm to the Athens Convention for compensation, which gives them the weather get-out.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dozygirl - 3 years ago

bhouse - did DFDS offer you an alternative crossing, which you took?  They probably have different terms and conditions.

Sorry no image available

I really do find it very strange at the amount of abuse that is hurled at anyone who dares to criticise their beloved Brittany Ferries. FFS they are a transport company who operate a monopoly on the Western Channel routes.

Unlike the 'Brittany Ferries can do no wrong' club, I'm not blinkered, I will use whatever route or method that is convenient to me for that particular trip and if I consider that particular carried is not perfect feel entitled to say so.

I did research transport links before I moved here and did realise that Brittany Ferries only operated a service to the SW of the UK for 9 months of the year, not what I would consider a service but can live with that.

My request for compensation, which would have amounted to very little in monetary terms, was based on;

A discussion on here a few months ago, saying that BF had compensated px for weather related delays.

The fact that DFDS paid me, unrequested, compensation for a weather related change of route last year.

I was trying it on.

Goodwill

Sorry no image available
Posted by smudge1949 - 3 years ago

Nipper. What an excellent responce to a BF moaner.

Sorry no image available
Posted by smudge1949 - 3 years ago

Nipper. What an excellent responce to a BF moaner.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nipper - 3 years ago

bhouse am I correct in thinking that all us mortals pay and travel on Brittany Ferries as their terms and conditions dictate but you clearly the chosen one get all that plus compensation sounds like it. I would suggest if this is all you have to complain about you have a great life why not try and live it instead of constantly being negative. You and You alone chose to move here which for travel  is dictated to by sea conditions strikes etc but then we knew all that did you not research all this before coming to change the all the rules. I supposrt BF because the thoughts of swimming the channel with a car and wife strapped to my back does not appeal.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Martin King-393934 - 3 years ago

Yes bhouse,I think that is the difference between us.I have no reason to be critical of BF because I believe I get what I pay for under their terms and conditions,If I did not then I would be critical of them too.

Sorry no image available

Martin, good for you but I can be more subjective and critical when I think it's justified.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Martin King-393934 - 3 years ago

Hi bhouse,

I am one of the 'Brittany Ferries can do no wrong club' and proud of it.I think they offer an excellent,efficient and reliable service.I get what I pay for under their terms and conditions.If I could find a better option I would take it,who wouldn't?