DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Can you get rid of Cluster Flies?

Posted by D&I-399749 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by lamb chop - 4 years ago

http://www.clusterflies.co.uk/

Sorry no image available
Posted by colin22 - 4 years ago

If by 'bombs' you mean what looks like an aerosol which you remove top and quickly retreat for 3 hours they are available at any vet as they treat milking parlours with them.  They are very effective and long lasting.

Sorry no image available
Posted by indyana - 4 years ago

Just read about your problem with flies, I have had them in my attic for 7 years and use a fumigater once or twice a year which gets rid of most of them but have not found a way to eliminate completely although have read that they like uninhabited spaces so maybe when you are using the space after fumigation,  they will not appear again! I did find that the bombs I bought from Rentokil were more effective than those purchased in the garden centers here.

good luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by D&I-399749 - 4 years ago

Thank you all for your replies, putting my mind at rest. I will look on Amazon for the bombs. Not sure what the smell resembles, will investigate further. Cant wait to set to and get rid of the blighters, at the moment the attic is unuseable till I get this sorted.

Sorry no image available
Posted by salsachica - 4 years ago

Last year we ordered "bombs" off Amazon as it worked out a lot cheaper. We put 1 in every room and then spent the night in our gite which had not been afflicted. Bye bye flies! Bye bye moths, fleas  and any other creepy crawlies in the house! These products even kill cockroaches according to the label (not that we had any!) We also had "that smell" and discovered a very small hole in the waste wipe going from the toilet and out of the house. Hole fixed, no more smell. Hope you can get it sorted. Ps the smoke bombs leave a residue so carry on killing the flies for a while if they land anywhere. Before activating the bombs, remove all humans and pets. Put all food away like veggies in the veggie rack, fruit from the fruit bowl etc as these will get contaminated. If you have pans, crockery etc on racks or shelves these will either need to be put away, covered with plastic sheeting or just washed afterwards. We put our plants in the porch as a precaution as we read somewhere that it can kill them as well. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pam Jones - 4 years ago

Hi again, , we used two bombs because we had the problem in one bedroom and downstairs which is all open plan. after the 4 hours, swept up any dead flies, and not seen a fly since.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rosie's mum - 4 years ago

hi, does the smell, smell a bit like gas?  I had this problem when I bought my house, found out it was the drains, the old domestic waste water system does not work the same as the UK in France, Don't think there are traps in the waste pipes under the sink etc..  i found that running the water for  a few minutes and flushing the toilets, eliminated these smells, now the house is in use. The smells are gone.....costs nothing and could be your answer, worth a try..  (I thought I had a gas leak until someone mentioned that I didn't have gas! ????)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jet Lag - 4 years ago

I had the same problem some 12 years ago! I then bought a SWAk aerosol - problem solved!

Have a look here.

Sorry no image available
Posted by D&I-399749 - 4 years ago

Thank you for your promt replies. I take on board the answer 'No', but Pam, you say you were plagued for a long time with the flies, did it take along time to get rid of them? how long? did you also get that strange odour in your house? Has anyone used a professional person to get rid of the problem, or is that not worth the expense.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pam Jones - 4 years ago

Yes we have.  we have been plagues by these flies for a long time, did some research and found info on so called bombs, these can be bought in garden centres , found among the rat poison etc, it is a small tin with a wick inside, just light the wick, close doors and leave for 4 hours, it works, we are now fly free, and if they do come back in the future we now know what to do.

Good luck,