Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


canal boat

Posted by macam-398646 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by ferrandiere - 4 years ago

If you wish to use your boat just on the canals in Brittany, you actually do not need the cruising licence from VNF, as they are managed by Brittany itself, not VNF and do not meet up with any other rivers or canals. We moved our narrowboat up from the Canal du Midi 2 years ago and find it much cheaper to moor and cruise up here ( although, obviously, there is less sunshine!). You will need to join the RYA and take a competance course for cruising inland waterways. There are quite a number of companies in the UK who do this and they usually take place over 1 or 2 days. Our boat has an SSR number, which means that it is on the Small Ships Register in the UK.  You will find lots of boats for sale throughout the region. Please ensure that whatever you buy has all the correct French or UK paperwork and has an up to date out of water survey, as you will need this for insurance purposes. If you don't know anything about boats, please take along someone who does! Best of luck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Stephanie-965984 - 4 years ago


Well you need to have passed the boat competence exam...details from the rya..without that you cannot navigate French waters. You will have to have a licence from the VNF see their website.

You will need to find a mooring and get insurance for the boat. 

We had ours on the Thames but had it registered in France which involved more paperwork!