DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Carnac area!

Posted by Llmsbs - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by one4all-436374 - 3 years ago

Carnac is pretty dead outside the main summer season, many busineses close over winter and what remains open offer a limited choice i.e. there are no major stores. Quiberon, situated on a sand bar penininsular is similar with frequent traffic jams in the summer. You would be better placed living in or nearer Auray where you have the advantage of more commerce, a new multiplex cinema and easy access to the N165 voie express for Lorient and Vannes plus you have a main line station with frequent TGV services. Rennes and Nantes airports are both appx. 90 minutes from Auray

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Fox - 3 years ago

Wonderful area, great facilities, good mix of small and larger nearby towns. Could your two adult children work online? You'd have the very best of all including a very favourable climate plus the wonderful coast, Quiberon, Gulf du Morbihan etc., - can't be bettered from my point of view.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

I bow to your superior knowledge rance :-o

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

BREST? Seriously? It's horrid.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ingetje - 3 years ago

Brest is really like to most depressed city in Brittany! haha, and also get the most rain of all....so your choice but not mine for sure!

Sorry no image available
Posted by heureux - 3 years ago

KFC, Ice skating and aquarium in Vannes ie not too far from Carnac, so perhaps you need to start a new thread re living near IKEA?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Llmsbs - 3 years ago

Hello, thank you all for getting involved ! 

My daughter-in-law seems to be very keen on moving near Brest, she said it seems to have a lot, like....KFC, IKEA, ice skateing, Aquarium and lots of shops which would be all great for her little girls, obviously we want to live close to them but are worried about the weather, and houses are quite expensive around Brest and we want to live by the sea but we're worried that it would be quite dead apart from Brest it's self but would be a good 30mins travel to there! 

Anybody live near Brest? 

Sorry no image available
Posted by rance-781573 - 3 years ago

Tryval,we used to live in the Alps, most rooves there are fairly shallow, certainly not steep, so not set for shedding snow quickly.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

As fellow posters have stated it all depends on what you want/need. The towns of Vannes, Auray and Lorient are all big enough to sustain employment around the year - if available. They also have access to good medical facilities and transport links.

Coastal property does have premium - lots of people want to live there too and often just for the summer. It can also be crowded in summer. In addition if you want land and buildings this can be in short supply at the coast.

It is certainly a challenge. Bon chance

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

Always thought a steep roof pitch  was more to do with shedding snow.