DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Daily Mail

Posted by staffordian - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Quite agree orme2 - and with your earlier posts. The EU has been weaning farmers off subsidies for a few years now (not finished though), thinking that market forces should take over. However this solution provides winners and losers. That's fine for a lot of our purchasing habits and the suppliers we deal with, but not so good when it comes to a key essential like food.

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

That is what I would like to see happening, AQ. Government (or EU) intervention to ensure fair pricing.  If this means the supermarket bosses taking a teensy drop in living standards, so be it.

During the business side of his uni course my son was taught that selling at a price less than the price of production is illegal here.  Yet they allow the big companies who buy from farmers to set prices which do not cover production.  Le Fol should do his job properly and put a stop to that.

Sorry no image available

I have to say that on the few occasions I have bought meat  from farm shops in the UK, I have been disappointed with the quality, despite the higher price, but I give it a go periodically, to see if things gave changed, but sadly, not. It is highly unlikely that direct sales from farm shops will surpass sales through supermarkets, which are, no doubt, here to stay and provide the most convenient method for most of us to do our shopping. Whilst we can all choose which supermarket to use, we have no say on where they source their produce or what price they pay farmers to obtain it. However, as I have said before, if supermarkets acted more ethically in the prices they pay farmers for fresh produce, we would not witness these demonstrations. Supermarkets operate on very generous margins and could maintain keen prices for consumers whilst paying fair prices to farmers. Apart from switching between supermarkets, consumers have little impact on the trade between farmers and the supermarkets. Yes - we all have a choice on how we spend our incomes, but people' priorities do differ, with food often taking a lower priority these days than it used to, leaving more cash to spend on the non-essentials. I still think that the current situation will continue unless some sort of intervention is made (by government perhaps) to establish a system of fair pricing to ensure farmers can stay in business to meet people's food needs, at prices that are fair to both producer and consumer.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tigre-979768 - 3 years ago

Take a look at 'farmers weekly' in the uk, same problem it seems but demonstrations much more peaceful.  I think stores like lydl's have not been targeted because they are not french owned, people have the right to open a store snd sell what they want, the farmers are probably  p---ed off with stores like leclerc because they are owned by french and the farmers probably feel they should support the french farmers. But business is business, and as wrong as it is it's a matter of dog eats dog, always has been and always will. 

Sorry no image available

Yes, I have internet - I need it for my work and make economies elsewhere.  My remark about mobile phones is not about phones per se, it's showing that we all make choices about what we spend our money on.  It seems strange to me that people want to spend less and less on food without which we die, but are happy to spend more on non-essentials.

I don't feel superior at all, but I don't understand the rants about farmers trying to protect their livelihoods and some of the weird 'they should do something else' and let the market decide attitudes. If we choose not to support farmers who are then desperate, then we have to live with their desperate acts too.  Just as we will have to live with factory farms if the race to low prices continues.  Then no doubt the ranters will complain about the way animals are treated.

btw.  having an expensive car is not proof of being rich.  Our car was expensive when we bought it when times were easier.  It is over 12 years old and still going strong, but looking at it you'd think we were rich.  Appearances can be deceptive.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervéor - 3 years ago

Well obviously you have internet Orme a mobile would cost 5€ a month more ( we need for ours for business) Don't fancy a 3 klm round trip for a baguette either (in the pouring rain ) When I next see our farmer pass in his new Audi I could  thumb a lift I suppose .

Sorry no image available
Posted by glamourpuss85 - 3 years ago

Your attitude seems very superior orme2. People make their own choices with regards to how they spend their own money. I don't believe it is for you to judge. In the UK we bought meat direct from the supplier and always much preferred paying the small extra amounts. Now in France - from local French farmers - I have found similar services to be hugely expensive and the quality not reflective of the price, therefore I will not do it again. Sad but true...

Sorry no image available

Well, we have to live on those incomes.  MOH, not having found work in his field, is AVS in a school (he's allowed one more year of work under that scheme) earning the SMIC, but only 20 hrs per week.  I earn what I can with part-time work.  We don't eat meat that often, but are careful where it comes from.

We save money other ways - no mobile phone, only use the car when really necessary and all sorts of other things.  It's a life-style choice too, even if you have a reasonable income.  People seem to be happy to buy new clothes on a regular basis, even if they don't really need them (good for the Chinese economy!) while refusing to pay a bit extra for meat to help our economy.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervéor - 3 years ago

I would agree with you however if you only have RMA or the SMIC or have a low retirement income your choices are very limited fortuntaely I do not have to live on those incomes but there are many who do .

Sorry no image available

I agree Kerveor that not everyone is prepared to buy more "expensive" food, as such. However, it is a fine line trodden by farmers in trying to run their businesses just to break even (including their subsidies). A cut in farm gate prices by say 10% by the supermarkets could put a lot of farmers out of business, thus threatening future supplies and causing likely price increases because supplies will have further to be transported. Unemployment is already quite high in France - putting farmers out of business and on to benefits (if alternative work is unavailable in rural areas) puts a greater burden on the public purse - paid for by increasing the taxes of shoppers / consumers.

The proportion of people's income spent on food today is considerably less than years ago. However, their priorities have changed over the years and many people who seek out the cheapest food seem to find the cash for a huge range of non-essentials, which were not all available many years ago. It's good that we have these choices, but perhaps we need to choose wisely and think a little about how we spend.