DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Development of the Nantes a Brest Canal???

Posted by Kernana-407546 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kernana-407546 - 3 years ago

The topic is yet again, on the news.... see;

http://www.ouest-france.fr/bretagne/mur-de-bretagne-22530/guerledan-mur-de-bretagne-reve-dun-ascenseur-bateaux-3961831

Sorry no image available
Posted by e taylor - 3 years ago

They started to refill the lake at the beginning of november. There was a bridge from the anse du Sordan side of the like which crossed to some houses.. the bridge is under water now, and one of the houses is already surrounded by water. Part of the tow path are underwater there, though at Tregnanton you can still walk along the tow path. It is good to see the lake returning to its former glory!   

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

Thank you, we are really looking forward to seeing it full and have a paddle..

Sorry no image available
Posted by Millisle - 3 years ago

John--according to our neighbour-who's son is engineer down there sometime this month-but who knows!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

Whilst on this subject can any give me an update on Lac Guerledan, have they started to refill it yet and if so how long it will take.  We really missed the water this year when at our hoilday home, I know it looks pretty now that nature has reclaimed it but lets have the wet stuff back.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonlion - 3 years ago

Hi,

Sorry to admit this .. but after 25 plus years being a coach tour driver/guide, I came to Brittany to get away from coaches and their passengers ..

We bought the ruin/house, and a few weeks later realised there was a bus/coach depot 5km away ..   The coach company said I could have a job anytime, once my French improved ..

Daft life isn't it ..

Rgds

Chris

Sorry no image available
Posted by Millisle - 3 years ago

I AGREE IT WOULD BE WONDERFUL!

There is  also a  need for  a hotel/accomadation that would cater for coach parties, that would extend tourist season benefiting local employment. the holiday

I often wonder if the large  place  beside the beach where the large carboot is held-if that could be utilised.

I  myself have looked for accomadation  for approx 49 persons for a coach company who were interested in doing tours9 MOSTLY OFF SEASON) based in the Mur area-NOT RennesNot Pontivy

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tigerdog - 3 years ago

All the locks in the Finistere region were restored by SMATAH at a very reasonable cost and that stretch of the canal is delightful but very underused. It would be a real boost if boats could come in from Brest and reach Lac Guerledan . If they could then get through and past the barrage and down to join the system at Pontivy it would be an enormous boost to tourism. I do hope this scheme gets started!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Older Punk - 3 years ago

Or The Anderton boat lift in Cheshire. Wonderful. There's also a boat lift in Belgium- south of Brussels, I can't remember what it's called. Totally amazing to watch in action. A real feat of engineering- except I seem to remember that it was built by Swedes and not Belgiums!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kernana-407546 - 3 years ago

Well said Farthing. And the Falkirk wheel, was - I should imagine - what the article in  the newspaper was referring to.

Would love to hear about your outtings on the CDM Tryval.