DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Douglas Dakota?

Posted by muraign56 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by David Paterson - 4 years ago

......that should be 'aperos'  rather than 'aeros' (we were clean out of them).

Sorry no image available
Posted by David Paterson - 4 years ago

Fitter is probably correct - most likely a Breguet Atlantic. It came over our garden ( not far from Mur)  in August or September last year, at about 200 feet. We all choked on our aeros.

Sorry no image available
Posted by paul & nadine - 4 years ago

Russian subs in the lake du Guerdelan, eh!

But seriously we have occaisional visits from a low flying twin engined modern military aircraft (merdrignac area), which I suspect is calibrating air traffic control equipment, or radar, or something similar.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 4 years ago

"Twin prop. very dark gray colour, with a long pointed tail?"

Sounds like a Breguet Atlantic BR 1150 maritime patrol, possibly looking for Russian subs?

French naval air have about 10 of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breguet_Atlantic#mediaviewer/File:Breguet.atlantic.fairford.arp.jpg

Sorry no image available
Posted by evenevenmoreantibs - 4 years ago

They're still in passenger service http://www.buffaloairways.com/ doubt if they fly over Mer though.

Sorry no image available
Posted by monkeyhanger - 4 years ago

I think what you have seen is a Naval Maritime Patrol aircraft which is based at Lorient it has been flying around the last couple of days. Twin prop. very dark gray colour, with a long pointed tail?

Regards, Dave A

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 4 years ago

When I was in the Merchant Navy (Ben Line), I once flew out to join a ship in Hamburg from Southend, the plane was a Dakota complete with canvas seats, interesting experience to see one in passenger service 1966/67.

Sorry no image available
Posted by noblesse-404553 - 4 years ago

Perhaps they're looking at the lake being drained?

Sorry no image available
Posted by RAY THE BASS - 4 years ago

Afew years ago I was collecting a friend from Dinard Airport. Whilst I was waiting I looked across a field and there was an Airfreight compnay who had about four planes. One of them was a Dakota which was all signwritten and was still being used presumably for transport purposes. Not sure if it's still there now.

Regards,  Ray.

Sorry no image available
Posted by martinbguk - 4 years ago

In the UK Air Atlanic (based in Coventry) use a Dakota to check the calibration of the ground based end of aircraft navigation beacons (NDB / DME / VOR) it could be they are working in France or a similar company in France does the same job.