DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

E'leclerc in Pontivy trouble because of farmers.

Posted by Gleaner - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

A good many farmers in the UK are suffering the same problems of supermarkets not paying enough for their fresh produce, making it uneconomical for the producer. Whilst prices in the shops can be very reasonable (especially milk), the retailers still operate on huge margins (the likes of Lidl and Aldi excepted, who keep overheads low).

With EU farmers being weaned off subsidies, there is a greater reliance on market forces and retailers have the producers of fresh produce over a barrel. Being perishable with a short shelf life, these products have to be sold quickly. Farmers cannot hawk them around the retail competition to seek a better deal and supermarkets employ some very dubious tactics to exploit the trade for fresh produce. A classic trick is, having agreed a price to pay the producer, the quality of the product is challenged by the retailer and offers a lower price to "take it off their hands". Doubtful that there is anything wrong with it (after all, the retailer is still prepared to sell it), but the delay in taking it elsewhere would definately cause it to deteriorate, as well as incurr more expense on the producer, so he reluctantly agrees the lower price.

This is very unfair. Whilst we consumers might benefit from keen prices and special offers achieved with these tactics, it is not sustainable in the long term. Farmers will go out of business, supplies will become unstable, imports from outside the EU will increase, as will prices because of the reduction in total supply and the transport costs. The system needs to be regulated in a way that provides fair prices for farmers as well as to consumers - with retailers operating in a more ethical manner.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fizzbomb-892531 - 3 years ago

In a way we are to blame.The problem is we all want cheap food, cheap clothes cheap furniture and in reality there's no such thing.  Someone somewhere always suffers and it's generally the guy at the bottom.  In this case it's the farmers, and if French farmers are suffering you can bet your bottom dollar that English farmers are suffering more.

They have my total sympathy

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

The French police are very tolerant of these "demonstrations" no matter how disruptive they are. Blockades and burning of old tyres etc seem to be the norm and French people accept it as nothingmore than a slight inconvenience. Unfortunately, that "inconvenience" easily spreads to other people and businesses, so that trade commerce and services are disrupted on quite a wide scale. Whether or not this changes people's attitudes towards the farmers or supermarkets, I don't know, nor indeed if it has any effect on the supermarkets' future trading with their suppliers.

Whilst milk is clearly not economical for farmers to produce at the prices they receive, the retail price of some meat, particularly pork, is up and down like a yo-yo and often reduced in price so much that you wonder if the farmers broke even or not. Fair pricing would provide more stability for all concerned. Surely it would be better if prices were set mid-range to ensure sustainability of the farmers who produce our food and prevent these demonstrations. In the long term, if farmers go out of business, we all suffer and we end up with more imports from further afield, with a greater dependecy on other countries' agricultural systems, as well increased transport costs.

Sorry no image available
Posted by piechipsandpeas - 3 years ago

Most ( if not all ) farmers seem to work 7 days a week - it's not an easy ' life ' but thats no excuse for the tactics they are using - rules / laws should be obeyed

Sorry no image available
Posted by sprossie - 3 years ago

Just checking Im a novice and the farmer near us works on a Sunday till 12.

Thank you anyway.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gleaner - 3 years ago

Blockade? By farmers on a Sunday?  I shouldn't thiink you'll be affected Sprossie.......but if I am wrong,  feel free to lambast me ;)

Sorry no image available
Posted by sprossie - 3 years ago

I'm travelling to Dinard airport this afternoon does anyone know if I need to set off early due to blockades travelling from Josselin.

Thank you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gleaner - 3 years ago

Evidently not Sophie, unless they are acting independently. In which case, they would be in big trouble, I would assume. BTW, I awoke to this Fitter........

http://www.ouest-france.fr/bretagne/morbihan/pontivy-56300

Sorry no image available
Posted by sophie hunton - 3 years ago

I thought it was all over with?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

Just got out of Intermarche at Pontivy in time by the back entrance as they were blocking the front entrance.

As the solitary elderly gendarme present strolled up and down the pavement totally unconcerned.