DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Expats

Posted by menim - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by absolutely gallois - 3 years ago

Don't go to Javea in Spain 22000 expats there alone!

Sorry no image available
Posted by chèvrefeuille - 3 years ago

The thing night and day, is that just because we share a common language with many other people who may live locally it does not mean that we have anything in common with them. I'm sure that the locals don't meet, greet, shake hands and kiss complete strangers that they pass in the street. I know that my French neighbours detest many of the other locals. I have some very good British friends in France but that friendship is based on far more than just us all speaking English. I will greet them if I meet them in the street, say hello to people I know vaguely and politely acknowledge all the strangers passing by whether they are speaking English or French.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jackorjason - 3 years ago

When we first ' moved here ' we were invited to a BBQ - there were approx 20 there ( all Brits ) - they did nothing but complain ( ' Why cannot we buy this here ? ' etc etc ) - never met such a more miserable group in my life !

Sorry no image available
Posted by night&day - 3 years ago

So having said that, the question of htis thread is, where is the largest concentration of ex-pat brits in France........I reckon it will be some wild remote hilltop covered in semi derlict houses all under renovation, with all the brits spending their days ignoring each other while seeking local French people.

there that should do it

Sorry no image available
Posted by night&day - 3 years ago

Hi, We have followed this thread with increasing interest. Now we are wondering why it seems that ex-pat brits want as little as possible to do with other ex-pat brits who must be in the same situation as themselves ?. We have noticed how brits are inclined to pass by / ignore each other  as though they don't exist, while our French Cousins greet each other warmly & launch into conversation.

Why is this ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

You see them sometimes on homes under the hammer and usually they get a big hammer and knock them down, but anyway where actually is the biggest concentration of expats, has no one found out yet?.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rance-384571 - 3 years ago

I dread to think what sort of places either are....like for like at £40,000! Come on show us pics of these "diamonds" but can't see us chasing one of them in either country..

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Have you actually found a detached house over here in habitable condition with two acres for 40 grand?, and you can indeed buy terraced properties in parts of the UK just as cheap as over here, you can also pay several million just the same as over there, its all down to supply and demand but mainly due to the boom and bust system that the Brits seem to prefer.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

Very interesting comments above.  UK and French house prices the same?  Can someone suggest where I might find a detached house in two acres for €40k (or equivalent ££s) in UK?  I might give it a go.  I hear the benefits there are the envy of the world.

Sorry no image available
Posted by chèvrefeuille - 3 years ago

Sorry pearlfisher, I prefer this version; http://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/british-flags/the-union-jack-or-the-union-flag/