DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Faulty strimmer

Posted by Chris the cook -425443 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by GeeBee-385121 - 3 years ago

As with any faulty goods bought in France, download a copy of  the French "Sale of goods Act" and if there's a problem wave it at them, they will give in!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chris the cook -425443 - 3 years ago

We got our strimmer repaired and it was the carburettor that was the problem. I'm so glad we didn't try to return it to Castorama as the carburettor is only guaranteed for 6 months, so we would have had to pay the repair bill.  

hope this answer will help somebody else 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kerroux - 3 years ago

Because men use the tool when women can only read about it.  LOL

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chris the cook -425443 - 3 years ago

Many thanks for replying to my question and sorry for the delay in responding. Despite all efforts MOH could not get it started and as the carburettor is only guaranteed for 6 months we have bought it back to the U.K. 

One very valid point made said that if it worked perfectly before being stored then it's not the strimmer but something else.  It would start on full choke but as soon as you turned it to run it would cut out. 

We have taken it to be repaired and when we know what the problem is, I will update this thread as it might just help somebody else.

On a lighter note why is it that a man will swear and call it all the names under the sun and yet the woman gets the instruction book out and reads the troubleshooting guide !!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

If it has been stored in a damp place such as a shed it could be that the contacts have become tarnished and are no longer producing a spark.  This will be regarded as "your fault" and therefore not covered by guarantee.  Dirt in the fuel filter is another common cause of problems.

Not true that Stihl run for ever, they need servicing and break down like any other piece of equipment.  However, they are easier to get spare parts for.

I have several motorised pieces of equipment and ensure they all get serviced before the start of the season.  Even then they can break down.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lakeman-415065 - 3 years ago

Is the choke working properly?  They are fairly flimsy on strimmers and if not closing may affect starting.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

That product sounds suspiciously like Easystart.  Don't be tempted to rev the engine if it has a dose of that stuff.  It takes the oily coating of the bore and will reward you with a seized engine!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nautuque-606978 - 3 years ago

If it was working before then it's not the strimmer  thatsuddenly became faulty it's something else 

If you ran it dry you may have pulled some muck into the filter or the carb.

You can get some stuff in spray form from the auto section of a supermarket that will start almost anything.

Take the plug out give it a spray and it should start once it's started the first time it should be ok.

Sorry no image available
Posted by c2oafc-383379 - 3 years ago

No Charge if its under guarantee... I think some folk have been wrongly ripped off if thyats the case ....I just returned a compresseur ... still in Guarantee.... and Leroy Merlin gave me a new one ... I returned it without the packaging too !!! Return it to the shop ... if its your fault then best not but if you have done everything correctly return with confidence

Chris

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonlion - 3 years ago

Hi,

Returning items to French stores is a gamble ..

Most charge for items to be looked at ..

Rgds

Chris

Ps .. Where do you live .. as I may be able to help fix it ..