DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Funeral

Posted by BaldEagle-974213 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by la Musique - 3 years ago

It would also be a mark of respect to send a card of condolence. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

Can only say what happens in our  very rural Breton commune and here you are expected to donate money towards the flowers if you are a close neighbour.

The first time it happened we were told that we should visit the deceased in the funeral parlour.  I went and the widow had a notebook to record donations and an actual cashbox! in the corner of the room where her husband was at rest.  We had already been asked for 5 euros per family member by her other neighbour which we had given, On leaving she asked me did we want to contribute for the flowers and when I told her we had already given she was content.

The procession behind the coffin is quite formally arranged by the funeral director.  My husband had to walk in front of me as we had a daughter and she had to walk by my side.

At another  neighbours funeral as our daughter worked for the neighbour she was just behind the immediate family and I walked with my husband.

Sorry no image available
Posted by BaldEagle-974213 - 3 years ago

Once again thanks for all the tips and reassurances.

Sorry no image available
Posted by GoneandDunit - 3 years ago

The hard part for us was that we were invited around to the house prior to the furneral, what we didn't expect was that the deceased was present in her open coffin, we didn't know what to do and so just sat for awhile beofre offering our condolences and leaving.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Oldbury - 3 years ago

You should go, you will be expected to attend. No doubt Catholic up that neck of the woods but it won't matter one iota. take some change with you for the collection box and don't dress up; no tie, just casual, not too smart.

Sorry no image available
Posted by GoneandDunit - 3 years ago

Exectly as Pilot said, our neighbours wife died and we attended the service but kept to the back of the church, the husband thanked us afterwards for being there, we did send flowers via a local florist.

Myself and the Maire were the only ones wearing a suit and tie :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by kimbocafe - 3 years ago

In 7 years I have attended three funerals in the village.  Two were for people I knew personally but was not close to - all I did was get to the church early, sit near other people already in there (having entered by the back door, and left via the same door afterwards.  I did not stand with the family to wait for the coffin and join the procession at the front door.  I am not a believer, so did not sing, recite prayers etc.  My presence was noted, that's all.  The other funeral was a close friend and that was different as I was expected to join in the coffin arriving etc.  Take a few coins for the collection which comes round.

Sorry no image available
Posted by pilot-425170 - 3 years ago

We have attended many funerals over the past 10 years and all you need to do is to turn up and show your face it's simply a Mark of respect. , nothing else is expected you certainly are not expected to contribute towards flowers etc, and I doubt very much whether your name will be called out.  As you say if you were  not very close to the deceased, and you're not comfortable in the church just appear at the back, all will be fine.

Sorry no image available

Sooy! Very ignorant of me, thanks for your replies.

Liz

Sorry no image available

We are in the countryside south of Plonevez du Faou.