DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Gas bottle

Posted by Mr S - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 4 years ago

Just an aside, but I had the same bottles, Calor, on my boat for years, getting them filled when needed in Spain, Portugal, Madeira, Canaries, West Indies, Ireland so it is poss to have them for years.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 4 years ago

I made a neet brazier barby out of my old Calor gas bottle.  They can also be turned into garden gongs (windchimes).  Loads of ideas on the internet.

Sorry no image available
Posted by NellP-986196 - 4 years ago

So, the question "how on earth can you keep the same bottle for years" is actually irrelevant,  (although, as I said, it's not difficult to have a bottle for years!) it's the length of time you have the contract, not the length of time you have the bottle. It's the same in the UK.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tsephaniah - 4 years ago

The deposit is refunded on a reducing scale over a period of two years. Thus if you have no paperwork to prove the date on which the deposit was paid ( or if two years has expired) you get nothing. There is a possibility of variations of the rules by different gas suppliers but expect nothing if the deposit was paid long ago.

Sorry no image available
Posted by one4all-436374 - 4 years ago

If you just want to get rid of the bottle, do not need more gas and do not have a receipt, providing you take it back to an original supplier, i.e. Clergaz to Leclerc, Carrefour to Carrefour etc. they will normally take the bottle off your hands but no deposit refund.

Most if not all dechetteries will not take empty gas bottles.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 4 years ago

My contract defunct after 2 years!,  so answer is probably 'no'.

Sorry no image available
Posted by camion - 4 years ago

Without the original paperwork no you wont get anything back, but you will if you have it, you are only basically borrowing the bottle when you BUY the gas, hence a deposit on the actual bottle for while you need it, take it back and you are refunded the money.

Sorry no image available

There was an old one in our shed when we moved in.  Our neighbour has several empty ones in her garage, been there for years, she doesn't take them back because she said she won't get anything, she doesn't need them because she no longer has a gas hob.

Sorry no image available
Posted by d.browning - 4 years ago

how on earth can you keep the same bottle for several years ? they're not topped up on site, you simply exchange them for a full one. we've taken a few back over the  years, hand over the original ticket that shows what you paid for the deposit and they give you the money back (despite it "being france and probably getting nothing"")

Sorry no image available

No, you don't always get back the deposit you paid on the bottle.  The bottle has a "shelf life", if you keep the same for several years you will find it is worth next to nothing when you want your deposit back.