DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Life in Brest area

Posted by normandytreesurgery - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by lottie13-403657 - 3 years ago

I think the poster meant the other cities had character!

Sorry no image available
Posted by luckyeleven - 3 years ago

Great to catch up the other day Jason, I hope everything works out ok for you.
Just let me know if you have any more questions. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gogo Yubari - 3 years ago

Flintcatcher and Jardinier Anglais are one and the same. So that's named just two.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jackorjason - 3 years ago

While ' working ' in Brest it would give you the chance to see about working for yourself / starting your own business in the area - Brittany must be good for Treesurgeons - thare are many who seem to be making a living at it - Flintcatcher , Lumbersexual , Jardinier Anglais - to name but 3 !

Sorry no image available
Posted by skrd23 - 3 years ago

lived in brest fr four years, made my closest french friends there, good place to be if youve got money to enjoy it

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kernowboy-10061199 - 3 years ago

Lapin - "ugly and has no character like the other big cities around here (Quimper, Vannes, Rennes, Nantes etc.)".  Well I would challenge that! All four have beautiful old towns worth a visit.  Certainly the suburbs have little to offer but if we went by your thinking, London and Paris would have little to offer! Whilst the 4 you mention are tiny in comparison, the old centres are beautiful, and that  is what a visitor would seek out.  For what it's worth, my first visit to Brest was when a cruise I was on stopped there.  I didn't think it was that inspiring on the coach trip into the centre but once there I thought it was a lovely city.

Sorry no image available
Posted by chèvrefeuille - 3 years ago

It's only a few months and Brest is hardly the end of the world. It sounds to me thay you've got a pretty good thing going; a proper job rather than becoming self employed and chasing around trying to scratch a living from expatsas so many others on these pages do. Go for the promotion and good luck with it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lapin-436112 - 3 years ago

by the way, whoever told you that when starting your own company you have to pay 50% social charges no matter what your income is wrong!! there are lots of different types of companies. so if you really want that then look further and sort out what works best for you :

Sorry no image available
Posted by luckyeleven - 3 years ago

Brest has its good and bad like all cities, it has its fair share of run down, poverty stricken areas, It also has impeccably kept public gardens, great museums, bars, restaurants, a nightlife, the sea, some lovely lighthouses, beaches, buckets of history, cultural events, associations, great public transport, and of course IKEA.
If you dont like these things brest may not be for you... 

Sorry no image available
Posted by normandytreesurgery - 3 years ago

Ah hah hah hah hah!

I'll tell my wife that to cheer her up!

Cheers Jason